Keystone

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Keystone

Post by OCauto »

Keystone is listed as an American Reel Maker without any providence to support the listing. The Bronson Site lists several reels that may have been made for Keystone as trade reels. Mark will correct me as needed but who may I ask listed them as U.S. reel makers without any information. If indeed they were Reel distributors, we need providence of that fact. Several instances of very nice Bronson CFSR's exist. Surely we have someone here that can shine a light on this topic.
Al Stover
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Keystone

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Perhaps Robert Ellis from Heaven?
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

According to Dr. Todd's site, the Keystone Corporation of Chicago were distributors (not makers) for several reels during the 60's. The Keystone series of reels, made by both American and Japanese makers, included the Arnold Palmer reels, numerous open-face and closed-face spinning reels and others which all seem to be marked with the Keystone name on either the box or reel. I believe the closed-face Keystone reels produced by Bronson (Keystone Star 88, Keystone Wasp, etc.) were actually trade reels, as none of the series can be found in any Bronson catalog. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they were produced by Bronson for distribution through Keystone Corp. Probably were. They are listed on the Bronson site as members of the regular line-up of reels, which might be incorrect. But until any more info surfaces, that's where they'll stay for now. There's two Keystone reels from the 60's currently on eBay (a Japanese boxed Keystone Star 44 and one other). I've seen many over the years. Many ORCA members have had a hand in adding information to the Reel Research site, including myself. With Robert gone, we'll likely never know who added Keystone as a maker. But, it's a very simple thing to change.
Mark
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The great Steve Vernon and myself both did articles on Keystone for the Reel News. Perhaps someone listed them after the article came out. They were definitely a distributor of reels, although whether any were American or not I don't know (I suspect the earliest ones were).

-- Dr. Todd
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I am attaching a picture of a Zebco made reel for Keystone. It clearly states that on the box. This picture was supplied by
Reelcrazee (Tommy Modesitt)
Al Stover
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Well, that certainly proves that Keystone Corp. was supplied by American makers. I still think Bronson supplied them, as well. Thanks, Al. Good find.
Mark
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Dr. Todd, can you recollect in what year and month that article was published?
Last edited by OCauto on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Al Stover
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Nov. 2011.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

With Robert gone, we'll likely never know who added Keystone as a maker. But, it's a very simple thing to change.
I took this off the Maker page tonight.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Jim Schottenham wrote:
With Robert gone, we'll likely never know who added Keystone as a maker. But, it's a very simple thing to change.
Now THAT is strange! That was the last sentence in my earlier post on this thread.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote:
Jim Schottenham wrote:
Now THAT is strange! That was the last sentence in my earlier post on this thread.
Mark
Hmm? :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I'm constantly reminded anymore that I'm pushing 70.
Mark
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

well I'm pulling you 8)
Al Stover