Knot for joining old braided nylon line

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Knot for joining old braided nylon line

Post by Clay »

I plan to do some "old school" light saltwater fishing soon, and plan to use some old 10-12 lb braided nylon line (not the new super-braids or Spectra). I'm going to need to knot together sections of line to reach the 200 yard length I need. Does anybody have a suggestion as to the knot I should use for joining the lengths together? Thanks for any advice.
Note: I've always used a double uni-knot for joining mono, but am not sure this will work with the older nylon braid.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Knot for joining old braided nylon line

Post by john elder »

Clay, you can probably save yourself some grief by uusing a NLW reel since about any knot will catch a bit in th levelwind mechanism. I would suggest using a standard blood knot... should hold fine and can be trimmed close:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I would highly recommend an Improved Albright Knot to do the job right. This knot is mostly used for joining two different kinds of line together, however, I have found the Improved Albright to be the best and most reliable knot for joining any two types of line including similar lines such as mono to mono, nylon to nylon or braid to braid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcrQUhDEOk
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I use the Bloodknot for mono to mono freshwater fishing, the Albright for mono to mono saltwater light line, but the Tony Pena is best for braid to light mono, and the FG Chain is best for braid to heavy mono IMHO.. These are probably overkill for your application.

John
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Folks,

I am with Deke on this one, I use the Blood Knot exclusively to tie two liked sized lines together to catch things like this. it has been working for me since my father showed me how to tie it in 1955. One reason to use this knot is the strength rating, about 90 percent.

McClane, in his excellent Fishing Encyclopedia shows a "Stu Apte Improved Blood Knot" where one overlapping end is pulled back through the middle, but try doing that at 27 degrees and a south wind blowing!

Fun stuff!!

Alan

Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

Thanks John, I'll give it a try. I agree w you on using a NLW. Levelwinds and knots often don't mix well- sometimes more backlashes, and always less casting distance. Another question: The guides on the rod I'll be using need replacement. Is it "cheating" to put on modern guides?
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

And Alan, you're right about tying knots in adverse conditions- whether it's bitter cold, or facing into a 15-20 knot wind on the beach with waves breaking over my head.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I loop-to-loop braided lines - one side with the smallest perfection loop you can achieve, the other side long enough to loop over either the reel or the line spool.

ps - even when I tie an Allbright knot to the end of a fly line, I still cut it and make a loop, so I can readily move the line between reels. Many big fish have taken these knots through my snake guides with no worries.
On a bait rod, a joint like this would never be within the working line length, but essentially a backing/working line separation.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Is the line hollow, so you can splice it? No knots at all then.
Robert Janssen
Sweden
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nothing hollow, Dr Rob, but braided line could be spliced by interweaving, much as we learned to do with braided rope in scouts. Knots are much quicker!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Whichever knot you use, and again I recommend the Improved Albright knot for this application, I would double up both ends of the lines you are joining together. Thin braid will cut right through itself but if you fold it over and double it up on both ends there is far less chance of that happening.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.