Have you ever heard of an AIMSA reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
cmstoneberger
Big ORCA Fan

Have you ever heard of an AIMSA reel?

Post by cmstoneberger »

Hey everyone, I rescued a reel from a garage sale a while back and wanted to see if any of you have ever heard of it or know anything about it. It is an AIMSA Tru-Sal, it is complete and works smoothly. [img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img]I cant find much about it but what I have found suggest it was made in Spain, from maybe the 40’s - 50’s, was made for Trout-Salmon, and not very common. Anyone know a value, or if anyone would collect these? I may be interested in selling to a good home as I love to fish but do not collect any vintage reels. Thanks for any help, Fish On!

Stoney
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Have you ever heard of an AIMSA reel?

Post by Ron Mc »

I have one Spanish spinning reel, a big salt-size Sagarra, which was also the first skirted-spool spinning reel.
Google turns up this nice example (translate will give the text in English)
http://todosobrepesca1.blogspot.com/200 ... spaol.html
Looks like you may have already found this link.
If it has the flip-bail as the example I posted, it must date to 1954 or later, which is when the Hardy Altex patent for the flip bail expired.

Ben Wright lists one auction result for $152 on this 2014 report:
http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2014 ... eport.html
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The True Sal was from the early '60s. There was a period a couple years back that Sagarra & Aimsa reels, for some unknown reason, were bringing a premium. I don't think that is the case currently. I would estimate it at about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price listed in Ben's 2014 report if it is in excellent or near new condition. Somewhat less if it shows much wear. Close to the previously mentioned price if EX with box & papers. A True Sal sold in Spain 3 months ago for US $80. The best way to find out is to list it for sale at a reasonable price and see how much interest you get.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
cmstoneberger
Big ORCA Fan

Post by cmstoneberger »

Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.