Sizes of Pflueger Hawkeye Fly Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Sizes of Pflueger Hawkeye Fly Reels

Post by Ray Hencken »

I recently saw a reference to the sizes of Pflueger Hawkeye Fly Reels as made only in the 2-1/2" diameter but with either a 7/8" or 1-1/8" spool width. Those dimensions refer to the 60 yd. and the 80 yd. Hawkeyes.
Pflueger also offered a seldom seen 40 yd. Hawkeye which is 2 1/8" in diameter with a 7/8" spool width, and also a seldom seen 100 yd. Hawkeye which is 2 3/4" in diameter with a 1 1/4" spool width.
Pictures are attached.

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Sizes of Pflueger Hawkeye Fly Reels

Post by RAM »

That 40 harder is sumpin' else! Nice set of reels Ray!!!

Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

great reels, but wonder if the reference context may have only been referring to the differences between the 60 and 80.
Most 40-yd reels are hens' teeth and a great find.
Certainly the 100 is the most desirable for cane fly fishers who want to fish a modern DT on their vintage rods.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I learn something new everyday here.

I picked up my first Hawkeye yesterday...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Used-Cas ... 95?txnId=0

The seller did not seem to know this model, or its value. Of course I wonder if I know the value. I may have overpaid, given the damage, but it was what I valued it at, given the past sales of this model, and referencing my reel bible. Now, how am I going to find those other models?
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Score!!!! Easy cleanup! You got it for dirt!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

[quote="Ron Mc"]great reels, but wonder if the reference context may have only been referring to the differences between the 60 and 80.

Perhaps I should have put the direct statement in quotes, eg. "made only" in the 2-1/2" diameter but with either a 7/8" or 1-1/8" spool width".
"Made only" means that the author thinks that the Hawkeye fly reels are only 2 1/2" diameter.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

clairvoyance must be a great ability, though I still think the OP would be more positive by simply showing these nice reels without attempting to defame another person
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Ron Mac: RE: DT line. I solved the problem. Cut my double taper in half. Fits a 60 yd. Delite plus a bit of backing. How often do you cast over 40 feet of line in a GSMNP stream? I now have TWO 4wt double tapers. But not silk! I wouldn't cut one of them!

Bad Bob
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Ray Hencken wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:great reels, but wonder if the reference context may have only been referring to the differences between the 60 and 80.

Perhaps I should have put the direct statement in quotes, eg. "made only" in the 2-1/2" diameter but with either a 7/8" or 1-1/8" spool width".
"Made only" means that the author thinks that the Hawkeye fly reels are only 2 1/2" diameter.
I am confused :| :?:

I am sure that me and Brian certainly meant no offense, or to threadjack.

No worries.

Just wanted to share a find, I have been on the lookout for for quiet a while.

Great reels!

John
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote:clairvoyance must be a great ability, though I still think the OP would be more positive by simply showing these nice reels without attempting to defame another person
Well, now I'm confused. :?: Is providing accurate material where possible erroneous information may have been previously referenced considered defamation, or called enlightenment? :?
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Enlightenment. I've read through this thread several times, in order to see why it might be starting to go sideways. I'm stumped. I got nothin'. I'm obviously missing something?
Mark
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

those are great reels and great sizes and information on the reels should stand fine all by itself

the oblique reference to the unknown reference saying somebody was wrong has no place - that's not enlightenment, it's accusation.

However, I would like to see a 40-yd GW - would never doubt that it exists - I just want to see one.

Bad Bob, Great Solution, and I promise never to misquote you out of context, directly or indirectly.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Just received mine in the mail today. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was the 100 yard model :)

Handle needs tightening/light repeening, and it could definately benefit from a good cleaning, but it should clean up nicely.

Last edited by Tightlines666 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Lucky you, John. Well done! Don't forget to show it off when you get him cleaned up.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Tightlines666 wrote:Just received mine in the mail today. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was the 100 yard model :)

Handle needs tightening/light repeening, and it could definately benefit from a good cleaning, but it should clean up nicely.

good job - between the size and condition (good marking in the ebonite), you quadrupled your money