Early Fin-Nor 6/0 - 800 yds 9 thread reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Early Fin-Nor 6/0 - 800 yds 9 thread reel

Post by 54bullseye »

I recently bought this nice little Fin-Nor from a fellow ORCA member who is thinning out his collection a bit. It is a really nice little reel in very nice shape and one like I hadn't seen until now. It has some odd features the first I noticed was all posts or cross bars instead of the big wide cross support with the two big holes in it. Another different feature to me is the bearing cover or cap on tail plate it has the oar and Marlin that spells out Fin-Nor then Miami Fla. but it's in a neat little embossed quarter sized emblem or badge that is set or crimped into the bearing cap. Also different is the cap has 4 screws to hold it unlike the newer 3 screw version. Then what appears to be an odd serial number " X 35 X " unlike any I had seen. Also as you will see in my pictures there is a " Pat 2153923 " and " 800 yds 9 " stamped into outer circle of bearing cap. Here is the Patent on Google
https://www.google.mk/patents/US2220519 These are hard for me to read and comprehend but I know some of you understand them much better than I do. I do see down a short way that this was made by Fred Grieten in 1939 From What I can tell.

Another odd part is the stand it is unlike any I have seen on Fin-Nor's. I have been in touch with a very knowledgeable Fin-Nor collector in Florida who is also an ORCA member and he has one very similar to this one. His has serial " X 13 X " and looks just about the same only light gold color. Almost all same features except his had clicker added at some point.

On page 86 in the Fin-Nor Legacy Years book by Ed Pritchard and Bruce Matthews under Post War Reels it did say that during the Machine Industries period Guetti used standard posts on 9/0 and 6/0 reels but no where on this reel do I see Machine Industries ?? Maybe not enough room ? Maybe made a bit earlier by Fred Grieten ?

Is there any one out there that has more reels similar to this one that can add any information to what I have found ? It would also be great to see pictures of similar reels posted to compare with this one.

So please show pictures of any similar reels or add any info you might have. Thank you !!! John Taylor

BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Early Fin-Nor 6/0 - 800 yds 9 thread reel

Post by BAP-62 »

Can't help with any info, but nice reel.
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/
Brian Purrone
ORCA Member
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nothing to add, John, other than that's a neat reel and great acquisition! That foot/stand is an "art deco" beauty!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Neat reel John!

I have nothing of value to ad to the thread, other then I remember reading that bit in my book, and it seems to fit with this early version.

John
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

"really nice little reel", well, it's freaking amazing
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Nice reel John,

These great little early Fin-Nor reels are pretty hard to come by. I have seen them in the "800 yards of 9 thread" size (like yours) which is about equivalent to a 4/0 size reel and I have seen them in a larger size which is perhaps just a tad larger than a standard 6/0 size reel.

Unless you have held one of these early, small reels in your hands it is hard to appreciate how well they are built and how strong and smooth the gearing is. I personally do not believe that you could purchase a finer built 4/0 size reel prior to World War II, or for that matter, post war too. It is one fine machine!

What makes the early small Fin-Nor reels easy to spot is the lack of the top cross bar with two holes, instead these early, smaller Fin-Nor reels had regular pillars across the top. These early, small reels were custom order only and were never cataloged by Grieten. Some of the early, small reels were produced prior to World War II and the sale of the company to Guetti. Grieten's production at this time consisted of 10/0, 12/0 and 15/0 size reels built to catch giant tuna, marlin and swordfish. More small custom order reels were produced just after Guetti defaulted the company back to Grieten in 1947 and prior to Grieten beginning his production of a full range of reels in several sizes to include 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, and 12/0 all having the trademark top crossbar with two holes. You can date the early reels by some of their features and by their markings or lack thereof.

The inset "Fin-Nor" logo medallion and the single screw holding the handle onto the shaft indicates that your reel was made by Grieten just prior to the U.S.'s entry into World War II - circa late 1940 - 1941. As to the stand or reel foot, they were only used up until about 1948 or 1949 on the smaller special order reels and then they were replaced with the more modern Fin-Nor foot. The odd thing is you see a very similar foot pop-up again much later on the Gar Wood Jr. built reels and the reels Wood Jr. designed, and or built for Fin-Nor, Sears and Shakespeare.

Here are some examples of other small pre-production custom order reels.

This is the earliest small Fin-Nor reel I have seen to date. This reel has the drag built into the "Small Drum" that spins independently of the side front plate and is just like the Fin-Nor 15/0 first model "Small Drum" multiplying reel circa 1937- 1939. This 4/0 reel was custom built and has the owner's name engraved on the rear side-plate "Gar Wood Jr." The Fin-Nor/Gar Wood Jr. relationship went back a long way. The reel is also stamped with the earliest Fin-Nor logo (not visible in the photos). Also shown here, the reel next to its big brother the 15/0 "Small Drum" reel.

Another early pre-war 4/0 size reel circa 1938. This reel was a custom order and unmarked. Note the pillars and the early style harness clips held on by screws to reel's frame.

This reel was made just after Grieten got the company back from Guetti in 1947. Still a custom order at this point this reel was built in the larger 6/0 size. Note that the reel still has pillars across the top, however, the harness clips have changed to the new, more modern style. Notice too that the rear side-plate has been stamped with the newer Fin-Nor logo and diamond brand with patents.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Ed
What do the side plates measure on your orange 1938 4/0 ? Mine measure 4 1/2". I notice a few differences probably updates from your orange 1938 reel and mine. First thing is the drag arch piece has been made heavier with more support. Second the handle has no screw connecting it to reel like mine and by the way the screw in mine is left hand thread yours probably has a threaded stud. Next the way the grasp is connected to the handle on yours is the same as on my Fin-Nor Industries reels with the little latch. The last thing would be like you mentioned the stand on yours is very similar to the Gar Wood Jr. reels but mine quite is different. I like your little Orange 4/0 also the two drum style reels !! Thanks for posting !! John Taylor

Here is the more rugged drag arch piece

Here is the latch that holds grasp in place on my Machine Industries 12/0 that looks the same as on the orange 1938 reel of yours.

Here is the Gar Wood Jr. Stand. Like you said similar to mine but not the same.

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

John,

My reel measures 4 inches in diameter and 2 1/4 inches across the spool. I just guessed that your reel was the same size as mine however it sounds like it is more the 6/0 than the 4/0.

Yes, there are many differences between my reel and yours and it is hard to find small reels from this period that have all the same features as there are so few of them and custom made to boot. Funny how we sometimes expect reels from the same period to all look alike but, they were custom built and always being improved on from one reel to the next.

In regards to the foot, by similar I meant similar in design. All the reel seats have the four legs that attach to the side-plates and then have the pieces in between the legs that bulge out to accommodate the rod clamp. Each is a variation of the same design. They look like a forward and a backward "E" on either side of the foot. Some have one hole in the foot, some have two holes, some flare out more and some are more angular but all are similar in design and unlike other reel seats. My red reel has a "similar" foot with this "E" style design only they did not drill out the holes for the rod clamp - perhaps the customer did not want them, again, custom.

Here are pictures of a reel that someone sent me that is a lot like your reel, but again, there are subtle differences -

Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Well the gold reel looks very much like mine ! Mine measures 2 1/8" in between sideplates so a bit more narrow than yours. Do you have pics of tail plate ? If not that's okay and thanks for the pictures and descriptions you gave already ! John Taylor
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Hi John,

Here is a photo of the back of the reel. I'm sure the clicker was added later but the rest appears to be original except for the nut holding the handle on which appears to be a angler's fix. Pretty much just like your reel except the foot appears to have two holes for the rod clamp on either side of the foot (see previous post of this reel for photo of foot and handle nut).

Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Great reels John and Ed! Thanks for sharing!