Any thoughts on the maker of this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Any thoughts on the maker of this reel?

Post by john elder »

Yes, truly a challenge to keep this little 2.5" dia. Baitcaster in the game but a lot more fun than cleaning a jigmaster! So many strong signatures here, including S handle, knurled grasp, unique clicker, really unique foot, to name a few things. One other thing that might be important is that all metal is brass and so far, i have seen no sign it was ever plated!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Re: Any thoughts on the maker of this reel?

Post by Richard Lodge »

No clue, John, but that's a neat reel. And I'm sure it will be a charmer once you've rehabbed it.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Well, John, but for the unique cut out pattern on the foot, I would say the knurling on the grasp, handle and handle washer bespeaks a reel made by those in the employ of...Julius vom Hofe. It’s quite a neat little oddball.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Would be interesting to 3d print a rubber side plate
https://www.3dhubs.com/material-index#? ... order=desc
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

CRe: Any thoughts on the maker of this reel?

Post by Nick in NY »

Good Morning John, About 25-30 years ago I too had a very similar reel in design but my reel wasn’t a multiplier. It was simply a 1 to 1 but the handle, bearings and foot were a dead ringer of yours. The side plates were similar to a salt water Meek with maybe 4 or 5 decorative rings. I cracked the plate while trying to break it down, didn’t realize the threads were reversed and the plates were relatively thin and brittle. Well I had $15 into it and sold it for parts afterwards. I do remember the guy who bought it was ecstatic. His intention was to repair it but I couldn’t see it, Oh well lesson learned. Very cool piece, Tight Lines Nick

Today I might be thinking Malleson or Shipley
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks to all!

-Mike, I just can't put any of the features with any Julius I've encountered, but he certainly tried a lot of things.

-Matt, interesting idea...I wish I knew exactly what the composition of this material is...and speaking of which...
-Nick...the reels certainly have "brittle" in common and also likely share origin in your area of the world. I have searched Malleson with no luck, but will try Shipley...thanks for the leads!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

since it doesn't show any oxidation (like ebonite), I would guess bakelite.
If you want to turn replacement side plates, consider Delrin.

hardware store Shipley? If so, I would guess trade reels from elsewhere.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote:Thanks to all!

-Mike, I just can't put any of the features with any Julius I've encountered, but he certainly tried a lot of things.

-Matt, interesting idea...I wish I knew exactly what the composition of this material is...and speaking of which...
-Nick...the reels certainly have "brittle" in common and also likely share origin in your area of the world. I have searched Malleson with no luck, but will try Shipley...thanks for the leads!
John- as you can see above, I wasn’t totally sold on my JVH guess when I made it. The bakelite/rubber (old rubber bands get brittle too; ultraviolet light from the sun and heat breaks up the polymer chains.) sides & knurled hardware say NY or NJ to me. I looked at a few dozen Cozzone and Holzmann foot patterns and couldn’t find one to match yours. Very interesting.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The foot looks home made. It isn’t symmetrical and the tool marks underneath are pretty rough. Nice mystery!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Paul, i think the foot just looks assymeyrical because there's a chip out of one end an the screws are not all in the same amount. Its actually nicely made and in hand, does not look amateurish.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Paul M wrote:The foot looks home made. It isn’t symmetrical and the tool marks underneath are pretty rough. Nice mystery!
John Elder wrote:Paul, i think the foot just looks asymmetrical because there's a chip out of one end an the screws are not all in the same amount. Its actually nicely made and in hand, does not look amateurish.
Mu guess is you are both right.

Looks to me like a well made reel by a hobbyist.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Why are we old-timers so pansophical that we have to label any reel we haven't seen before as home-made, or a prototype, or a one-off by a Vom Hofe, Kopf, or Malleson? There were other makers on the planet in them thar days, just as there have been lots of little reelmaking companies in the U.S. since WWII. I doubt we've heard of them all. My guess is that the fragmented reel in question was made by some relatively small maker here or, heaven forbid, by a non-domestic maker.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Steve wrote:Why are we old-timers so pansophical that we have to label any reel we haven't seen before as home-made, or a prototype, or a one-off by a Vom Hofe, Kopf, or Malleson? There were other makers on the planet in them thar days, just as there have been lots of little reelmaking companies in the U.S. since WWII. I doubt we've heard of them all. My guess is that the fragmented reel in question was made by some relatively small maker here or, heaven forbid, by a non-domestic maker.
this
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Steve wrote: My guess is that the fragmented reel in question was made by some relatively small maker here or, heaven forbid, by a non-domestic maker.
I agree. How small is the question. 100 reels? 5 reels?

How many reels = maker ?

How many reels = hobbyist ?

Just semantics.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I know somewhere in the dark past I have seen a reel with that dished out rear bearing cover and click button with the nipples in their center.

Mike, in your defense, I do see a little JvH in the handle's counterbalance.

As to the maker, I tend to agree with Mr. Vernon, it is most likely the concoction of Mr. Seymour Likum or one of his contemporaries whose names may be forever lost to the ages. So let this be a lesson to you kids out there, always mark the reels that you make very clearly with your name cause you never know, a group of collector types may "get all pedantic" about them some day!
Last edited by reeltackle on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yeah, but Ed....we'd just say it was some owner's name :?

I will say that if a one-off or small maker, I would be thrilled if I can develop the skills to make a reel this neat...I'll just learn from the experience and employ different side plate material. In that area, even the best had their issues with what to use for the side plates. Stead often used Catalin for his side plates, with less-than-stellar results!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote:Yeah, but Ed....we'd just say it was some owner's name :?

I will say that if a one-off or small maker, I would be thrilled if I can develop the skills to make a reel this neat...I'll just learn from the experience and employ different side plate material. In that area, even the best had their issues with what to use for the side plates. Stead often used Catalin for his side plates, with less-than-stellar results!
The same will be said in the future regarding today's use of PVC when exposed to the elements. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

(1) How small is the question. 100 reels? 5 reels?
(2) How many reels = maker ?
(3) How many reels = hobbyist ?
(1) 1" to 1.5" diameter
(2 & 3) One each, as far as I'm concerned. "Maker" and "hobbyist" are not mutually exclusive. And either could be a "seller." Should we strike (George) Snyder from our maker lists? He and the boys made maybe two-dozen reels. And how many did Howard & Sievers make? Sage? Norris? Size (of production) isn't everything.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Steve wrote:
(1) 1" to 1.5" diameter
:bow:

Like I said, its more about semantics.

Take a guy like Edward Hewitt, who made 22 reels for friends and family, but made none for the market.

Making the reels certainly qualifys him as a reel maker ...but is he considered a reel maker ?

Just playing devils advocate here ...I've no horse in the race.

Maybe it is a simple as "make a reel and you are a reel maker".

If that's the case ...I'm a mason, electrician, plumber, painter, roofer and a carpenter, among other trades. :D

Dean.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

reeltackle wrote: Mike, in your defense, I do see a little JvH in the handle's counterbalance.

My man. (my father's name was Ed, my son's name is Ed, and my middle name is Ed. We Ed's stick together.)
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

The only difference between amateur and professional is intent and frame of mind. He should have been proud of that one.
-steve
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...lots of little reelmaking companies in the U.S. since WWII. I doubt we've heard of them all.
For example

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I probably wouldn't use it for other than Shelf Fish, but our little mystery reel turned into a pretty nice One-Footer:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Dr. Elder, you are a magician. What an incredible restoration.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

In a word - WOW!!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.