Green Brothers 'Ripple' LW reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Green Brothers 'Ripple' LW reel

Post by Richard Lodge »

I've had this Massachusetts-made level-wind baitcaster for a while but haven't been able to find anything out on the company or the reel. Short of driving to Millbury (which I could do, but would have to carve out a day to do it), I'm curious if anyone can help me with info on the company and this Ripple model reel. I'm assuming Green Bros. Manufacturing is/was a machine shop that cranked out this particular reel, but I've never seen another one or any ads by the company in old sporting magazines. It's well made and similar to reels I've seen by Union Hardware, but my guess is this is definitely a Millbury, Mass.-made reel. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Richard

oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Green Brothers 'Ripple' LW reel

Post by oc1 »

Don't know but the one-piece stand AND reel foot posts reeks of insecurity and timidness.
-steve
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Richard
I live in Charlton, Mass. and on rt 146 in Sutton about a 1/2 mile from Millbury center there is a little machine shop called "Green Machine" so I am wondering if that might be relatives of the Green Brothers associated with that reel. I tried calling there number today but no answer it was after 3 pm.
Green Machine has been there as long as I can remember so could very well be same family !! I will give it a try again tomorrow and see what I can find out. John Taylor
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Reminds me of that "Twin Lakes" model from the Connecticut Reel Co. I sold one of these "Ripple" models years ago, so they're around.
Mark
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for the info, John, Steve, et. al. I emailed the Millbury Historical Society last night and hit pay dirt. A woman there said someone had dropped off some Green Bros. recently and the society prez has quite a bit of info about the company. He also might be able to put me in touch with the last owner. If I can pull this together (and if it's moderately interesting) I'll aim for an article in an upcoming Reel News. I'm hoping Green Bros. made several models, but it also would be kind of interesting if they came up with this one design for whatever reason. We shall see. Sit back, have a :beer and stay tuned..,
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

In case anyone is interested, there is another one of these on Ebay right now!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

What???? That's impossible! The man I bought it from said it was a prototype, strictly one-of-a-kind and that, after the Green Brothers carefully designed and hand-crafted the reel they smashed all their machinery, downed a couple bottles of Ripple and took off for points unknown. Maybe Mendon or Blackstone. Some place no one has ever heard of. :doh:
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Richard Lodge wrote:What???? That's impossible! The man I bought it from said it was a prototype, strictly one-of-a-kind and that, after the Green Brothers carefully designed and hand-crafted the reel they smashed all their machinery, downed a couple bottles of Ripple and took off for points unknown. Maybe Mendon or Blackstone. Some place no one has ever heard of. :doh:
That was the Blues Bros....Bro.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

8)
jvankuiken
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jvankuiken »

I know this is an old thread but were you able to find more info on this reel? I picked one up at a sale in NH....was looking for some info on it??

Thanks

Jake