List of REEL TALK Registered Users

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

List of REEL TALK Registered Users

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: List of REEL TALK Registered Users

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Paul. The ability to email and message other reel collectors is important.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

At the bottom right hand corner of the main Reel Talk Forum page is a "Members" link that takes you here. That list has an alphabetical drop down arrow at the top left to easier assist in the search for a specific registered user. That page also has a "Find a member" link at the top right corner just below the "Advanced Search" link. Clicking the "Find a member" link takes you to this search tool. Member names are listed alphabetically by the first letter of their username.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks Tommy. I changed the link in the sticky.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

So we currently have 2400 active members ?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No, that's the number of registered forum users since this Forum's inception (2003). If you are logged in and click on a user's name it will take you to their profile where it will also indicate the last time they visited the forum.
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I actually think that many who are registered users of this Forum actually believe they are ORCA members, as their names are listed under "members".
Mark
Russ
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Russ »

That's why I asked users are under members list. Russ
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Russ wrote:That's why I asked users are under members list. Russ
That is because the "Members" list you are referencing has nothing to do with membership to the Old Reel Collector's Association (ORCA). That list is the Registered User List (Members) of Reel Talk. You can read about Reel Talk and its Rules and Regulations here.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I did change the way the main menu reads on the ORCA home page, to try and avoid the confusion discussed but I don't know how to change it on the bottom of the Reel Talk page.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I've been told by the previous web admins that changing anything on our Reel Talk pages is very difficult but, Merv, a member who helped us years ago, seemed to be able to do things with no problem. He added the photos at the top of the page. Some other things that might seem simple, like the "members" title, may not be since the software allows customization of only a few things.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

This is progress? When I created this message board 15-20 years ago I used the Microsoft Frontpage program. It was a simple process to change anything. Make the change on my computer and then upload to the server. I believe ORCA bought the Frontpage program for Merv and I sent him a CD containing the data and he just loaded it on his computer. He had the same easy access to make additions or changes. Times have changed and I guess everything is more complicated today (but is this progress?)
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I spent about 8 hours of my time last night re-constructing Ocean City Reel pages on the modern part of our website, trying to complete the transition from the Weebly platform we also used to use. I thought that would be a better investment of my volunteer time than learning how to make phpBB change semantics that are programmed into that software. ORCA would welcome any volunteers, especially those that are expert in the operation and maintenance of phpBB software. We have the best forum among clubs of our kind with self-hosted pictures. We are no longer beholden to unresponsive contractors or those that threaten to disrupt our operations but we can only do so much.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Reel Geezer wrote:This is progress? When I created this message board 15-20 years ago I used the Microsoft Frontpage program. It was a simple process to change anything. Make the change on my computer and then upload to the server. I believe ORCA bought the Frontpage program for Merv and I sent him a CD containing the data and he just loaded it on his computer. He had the same easy access to make additions or changes. Times have changed and I guess everything is more complicated today (but is this progress?)
Phil,
I have to say that, in this ol' codger's opinion, Windows 95 was a heck of a lot more user friendly than Windows 10. Sure, W 10 can do a lot more, but it takes a lot longer to figure out how the system works and how to get certain things accomplished than the simple old versions. 80% of the crap on the newer programs isn't used by 90% of the users........and some previously used simple techniques are no longer an option. That is progress.......at least in the developer's eyes. :loco:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Phil, Merv was able to work with the program you started with for a couple of years but then it became really difficult if not possible at all due to a combination of a couple things. The web hosting service you started with basically bailed and made a lot of the data void all because of naming conventions they no longer wanted to recognize. The program became obsolete and was no longer supported by, of course, Microsoft. Merv spent days and days patching things up and just keeping things afloat. Thank goodness he had that time to devote.

I ask the same question every day for everything I do from work to leisure. I draw on a computer but when that goes down, I can't bust out my eraser and redraw a single line. I want to get on a plane to a neighbor island and can't do that like I did for as little as I used to pay or on a whim like we all often did here. Much of that is due to security, both my air travel and living on the web. Everything we do here for ORCA's website has security at the top. Maybe harder but the price is pretty costly if you don't do that. I consider ORCA pretty lucky that we didn't get really messed up or hijacked over those 15-20 years. Yup, progress. Sometimes I get left behind or I ask others for help and move forward. Thank you, Phil, Merv, Betty, Paul, and everyone that contributed to make this thing what it is today.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Lately it has been Matt Lollman trying to keep us out of harm’s way on both the Wordpress and phpBB platforms that make up the current ORCA website.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006