Save the Date - 3rd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Save the Date - 3rd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

Post by Deepfins791 »

Once again, my wife and I will be hosting a BBQ at our home in Pismo Beach for all reel collectors and assorted water lovers. It will be June 2nd, and coincide with the Pismo Beach Car Show (https://theclassicatpismobeach.com/). This would be a great excuse to plan a spring vacation to the beautiful Central Coast of California. Our BBQ is a very fun and informal get together with all our fishing, spearfishing, surfing, and tackle collecting friends, and their spouses/kids/pets, etc. We usually take in the car show in the morning and BBQ in the afternoon. Then we retire to the tackle room to show/sell/trade tackle and solve the world's problems. If you are interested in attending or have any questions, please PM me. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
John
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Save the Date - 3rd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

Post by 54bullseye »

You gonna raffle that reel off at the BBQ ?? JT
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Sounds like a great time and I would love to attend but the logistics are a bit tricky for me. Post pictures!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Just a reminder that we are less than one month away from my Wheels and Reels BBQ on June 2nd. This event has become the largest gathering of tackle collectors on the Central Coast of California! I can claim that because there is no other such event in my area! For those attending, plan on bringing the wives, kids, dogs, and any tackle to show, trade, or sell. I am always in the process of upgrading, downgrading, degrading, and regrading my own personal collection. Please send me a PM if you plan to attend, and I will email you the details.

Cheers,
John Bechtold
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Here's looking at you, John.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, Boy! picnic!!! Can't wait!!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Hah!! Very clever, guys!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Now THAT is a reel I would consider cashing in my meager retirement savings for John!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Raffle Item - 3rd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

Post by Deepfins791 »

John Elder has once again graciously donated one of his hand-made works of art to be raffled off at the BBQ. Offered is a solid oak pocket line drier. You read that right! A POCKET line drier!! This item is simply genius and so exquisitely made, it could have only come from the mind and workshop of Mr. Elder. Note the attention to detail on this piece. Yes, you could actually use it, but I am guessing you will display this line drier alongside your best tackle, or better yet, store it inside an Elder custom tackle box. Tickets can be purchased for $2 each, there is no limit to how many you can buy, and yes, you must be present to win.

Please note: the linen line is just for display purposes, and is not included with the drier.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha!i think thats only sbout a fifth of the one i gave you that exploded, John!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Is that one you made John Lol !!!! Nice simple design. Have much time in it ? John Taylor
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

We had a nice group of collectors show up at my annual BBQ this past Saturday, as well as a few of my fishing and diving partners. Most everyone brought their wives along. We gorged ourselves on burgers, hot dogs, side dishes and beverages. The weather was absolutely perfect. Most everyone ended up buying or selling something. Randy Pauly played host to the group on Friday, and all of us left his place with something new for our collections. I've never seen two people talk tackle more than Larry Lauve and John Taylor. They went at it in my tackle room non-stop for hours! Thanks to everyone for a great BBQ. It just keeps getting bigger and better! See you next year!!

Cheers,
JB

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks, John, for your hospitality and a great tackle weekend! Nice to see old friends and also great to finally meet fellow ORCAn, John Taylor and girl friend, Brenda. Also thanks to Randy for having us over to look through is fantastic collection! Here's a shot of Larry Lauve doing his best Papa Hemingway imitation next to an incredible 1000 lb+ Marlin gracing Randy's living room!

It was a real Chamber of Commerce weekend on the coast...here are a couple shots just a bit upstream at Morro Bay:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

A couple of great photos of the "Big Game Reel Brain Trust", I hope someone can send me a transcript of the minutes from this meeting.

Hope I can make it out to one of your BBQ's John, I would like to visit your coffee table and I'll bring a hand full of reels.

John and Steve, you guys scare me .... a lot.

I'm also looking forward to giving Phil a swimming lesson when I come out.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Could you put some names to those in the pics for some of us land locked guys that never see the oceans or those that collect big game reels? I recognize a couple, but not all.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Could you put some names to those in the pics for some of us land locked guys that never see the oceans or those that collect big game reels? I recognize a couple, but not all.
Tom
From left to right first is the host John Bechtold next co author of "Hand made in Hollywood" the Kovalovsky book is
Phil Beguhl, then John Elder , then me John Taylor in back with Dan Zirilli and his son in front, next Randy Pauly from Alan Tani's site "Vintage Offshore Tackle" and Finally Larry Lauve co author of "A conversation with Arthur Kovalovsky" and one hot --- !!! John Taylor
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thank you, John T. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027