A little more Kreider

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

A little more Kreider

Post by colby sorrells »

The January 2018 Reel News includes an article by Dr. Todd Larson about fly reel maker Claude M. Kreider titled Claude M. Kreider, the amateur reel maker. Here is a little more information about Kreider and a page from the August 1943 issue of Aero Digest where Kreider is featured in an advertisement for Langley Corporation, makers of Langley reels.

Kreider was born on July 23, 1888 in Parson, Kansas. He was married to Isobel Bannerman McLaren Kreider (Died 1982). He had a son, Peter Anson Kreider, a daughter Francis Ann Kreider and an unnamed third child. His mother was Bessie S. Kreider. He died in February 1964 in Whittier, CA. His son Peter was a tournament caster in his youth.

Kreider’s daughter in law said it was Kreider in the Aero Digest ad per her son, Kreider’s grandson from an interview by Alan Baracco.

You haven't seen the article? Join ORCA and get the Reel News 6 times a year!

Keepin' It Fun! Colby Sorrells
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: A little more Kreider

Post by Teal »

That's super cool! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about his connection to Langley!

-- Dr. Todd
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A little more Kreider

Post by big hoss »

I found the Kreider article fascinating and went looking for some of his writing in the magazines I have. I found one in the January 1943 Field & Stream. This one covered the repair of bamboo rods. It was informative and worth a read by those who enjoy this task. The second article I found in the September 1940 Outdoorsman. This article addressed again the "Goldens of the High Sierras", (A 1918 article on the Golden Trout is mentioned in the Dr. Todd's ORCA item). Although I will never get to fish the Golden I found the article informative and for the Golden enthusiast, well worth seeking out. I am happy to scan the articles should anyone want a copy.