Hurd Observations

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
charleyb
Frequent Board Poster

Hurd Observations

Post by charleyb »

A couple things I noticed from my admittedly small sample size;

I have what I consider to be a true 'Salt-Water Version' as there was black paint (coating) on the under-surfaces of the various components when disassembled. The serial number on this reel is A98485 (sub-script)B. By that I mean the 'B' is stamped at a position ~50% below the center-line of the remainder of the s/n. The 'B' is also stamped very close to the '5' (closer than the other digits are to each other) and looks to me as it could have been added at some point after the main s/n was stamped.

The HURD logo is different from the right side (handle side) to the left side, at least in my sample group. The 'right side' logo has 'DETROIT' as the bottom rocker, as it were, where the 'left side' logos have 'USA' as the bottom stamping, under 'DETROIT', and 'DETROIT' and 'USA' are stamped level, not as a 'rocker'.

I have five units that have 'left-side' logos. The one noted above had identifiable black paint in the 'innards'. The other four are plain aluminum with no residual paint or coating to be found anywhere.

I think it would be interesting if I ended up with a 25% population of 'Salt-Water' Hurds among this modest group due to the suspected rarity and my scatter-shot method of purchasing reels.
Regards, CB