Reel parts cross reference

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ed Rods
Frequent Board Poster

Reel parts cross reference

Post by Ed Rods »

I have been working on something for some time now and it has been a choir. So I was thinking in stead of one person working on this what would happen if a large group worked on it?

I am talking about a cross reference from one reel manufacturer to another. Production reels were made by many different manufacturers, but also made reels for each other. They also acquired companies and used parts from that company and used them on their reels.

Crazy is going back to the start of high production reel parts were interchanged. Take for instance True Temper and Ocean City, I have found that the same parts are used on both reels made.

Of course every one knows that Zebco and Quantum parts interchange from some models to the other.
So as a group I would like to make a cross reference for parts that would be a general master cross reference that would help all of us know a part from a Shakespeare would fit a part on a Langley and be the same part and Original O. E. M.

Some O. E. M. have cross reference from one model reel to several other reel models but in the same manufacturer.

I want this to be included but also add the cross reference between manufacture to manufacturer.
I would like your input and in my old age if I am going crazy just say so.
Thanks Ed
Antique and Vintage reels and reel parts. I like small reels
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Reel parts cross reference

Post by wrong99 »

Much too massive an undertaking, in my opinion.
Mark
Ed Rods
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Reel parts cross reference

Post by Ed Rods »

Yes
But many guys like myself are taking reels apart all the time. Take a bail spring. If you take a bail spring out of a reel, and compare it to your cache of bail springs. You may notice that it is the same as so and so. Jump on here and post the finding. Nothing that would take more than a few seconds. Most of us have our parts in segregation and labeled, so it would be a small task. Think of the education everyone would get.
Antique and Vintage reels and reel parts. I like small reels