Strange Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Strange Reel

Post by OCauto »

I was called by a man in California and asked if I had ever seen a reel that had a level wind mechanism on it but it had a spinning reel type spool that went up and down while retrieving line. I didn't know whether to advise him to call 911 or believe him. He told me that someone had talked him out of it several years ago and he now wished he had it back. He is going to try to find a photo he once had but that's all he had for now. I wanted to tell him :D that John could probably build him one , but i decided I didn't want John mad at me.
Al Stover
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Strange Reel

Post by spadej1 »

I know there are several different examples of something like this, but this one was discussed not long ago. Don't know if the spool goes up and down or not though.

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... =7&t=20463
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Me? .. mad at you, Al??...never! :D

I think/bet James nailed it...Merit-Stalder! (Name corrected ala Jim S post below!)
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Is up and down really in and out? I recall seeing a vintage spinning reel where the line is spooled in an unusual criss-cross pattern.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

The man (Dave) told me(in his words) it oscillates up and down when retrieving line. I have never seen anything like that so the mental is vague to me. I will send him the pictures and see if it is the one.
I can see how the Merit Stradler might appear as he described.

Thanks to all of you for the responses and I hope to never make you mad John. :lol:
Al Stover
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

That was it gentlemen, my new acquaintance thanks you very much. Since I no longer have edit access to add this reel to the Reel makers list The makers name and pictures
are still better than nothing when it comes to Research.
Al Stover
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

OCauto wrote:That was it gentlemen, my new acquaintance thanks you very much. Since I no longer have edit access to add this reel to the Reel makers list The makers name and pictures
are still better than nothing when it comes to Research.
Al,

It's already there, including multiple photos, and has been for a few years. It's listed under its maker, Staldler, Inc Merit Reel.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Then I have to ask Why it isn't under Merit Stadler (not Stalder) when the box calls it Merit Stadler?
am I the only one that sees some confusion in that?
The top of the spinning spool is marked: MERIT Stradler Inc U.S.A. PATENTS PENDING, not stalder.
MADE IN THE 1950'S. It is a combination spinning and conventional casting reel. The unusual part about this reel is that It has a metal lever that pivots for casting. When you release the lever, the reel is ready to retrieve. The spool oscillates to keep the line even. The top of the spinning spool is marked: MERIT Stradler Inc U.S.A. PATENTS PENDING Tighten (with the direction of the arrow). WE need a correction please
Al Stover
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Then I have to ask Why it isn't under Merit Stadler (not Stalder)
Because his name is not spelled Stadler.

Nor is it Stradler

The mans name is in fact William Dale Stalder, just as it is marked on the reel. The name Merit is a model, the same way Eli and Comet are names of reels made by Talbot. So, the Stalder listing is correct. What I have done this morning is add the patent image and his first and middle names.

If you don't already have the Reel News from Sept. 2002, vol. XII, number 5, that has Phil's one page article on these reels that includes a nice pic of the reel box, you can order one from the ORCA store.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

And clearly I didn't proof read my post very efficiently. :doh:

Thanks, Jim, for setting things straight. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

And I got the info from the previous owner who must have mis-spelled the last name. He had the info written on an index card. My apologies and thanks for correcting me. Al
Al Stover
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thank you Jim!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I was going to bring my Merit Stalder to the next ORCA convention, would I enter the spinning or casting competition with it?
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Bring it to the Reel Trading Saloon!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006