Ocean City Wanita

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Ocean City Wanita

Post by spadej1 »

I haven't had much to share lately as I've been trying to watch my finances, but I picked up this early Ocean City fly reel. It is pretty rough to look at, but is in top shape mechanically. It's an early OC Wanita I think, but it's unmarked. My question is, I know some of these may have been unmarked or even trade reels but was anyone making copies of these? I was also able to get a later 306, with the spring drag that is sometimes considered a "Perfect" style copy. I like it and will probably line it up this spring, but was unimpressed with the spring drag. Should have probably found the click version instead. Anyway, here is the Wanita:

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Ocean City Wanita

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Hello, Ive found marked and unmarked Wanita reels in Ocean City boxes. I don't believe anyone was making copies of this reel although Japan copied many Ocean City models but usually marked them Japan on the foot.

Below is the first model Wanita , Its a click version - Yours with the red handle is the 2nd version.

I usually wouldn't suggest this but your reel would look good if you clean it aggressively and remove the rest of the paint - or - clean it up and paint it black again. Happy fishing, Jeff