Odd bail release on a Mitchell 300

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Odd bail release on a Mitchell 300

Post by Reeltyme »

A friend of mine acquired an unusual Mitchell 300. I have never seen one like it before. It has an automatic bail release on it that looks to me to be factory. I have searched through the big “bay” but found nothing to match it. I am quite sure that someone here knows of it. Any help as to the age and possible rarity would be greatly appreciated.
Randy McConnell
“Reeltyme”
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Odd bail release on a Mitchell 300

Post by spadej1 »

I think the confusion comes from the fact that this reel is a 330, not a 300. The 330 or Otobail, as it is sometimes referred is in fact a type of automatic bail. I never really messed with it much, but if you tap it with your finger it flips open. I do have one, although I couldn't quite get the opening to work myself. It might be because its in rough shape and maybe needs a good cleaning and lube.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

As James indicated, it's a 330 Otomatic. The Otobail was made in various models including the 330, 331, 440, 441, 330A, 540, 840 and a host of others, including Mitchell Pros and Mitchell Sports. When cleaned lubed and maintained correctly one should be able to slightly pull the bail back with you finger, thumb, etc., then release and it should snap open. It closes just like any other bail type spinning reel by turning the handle.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Well, ain’t that a kick in the ribs! I looked closer and low and behold,,, a 330! Eyes ain’t quite what they use to be. I never did look it over that closely as it isn’t the kind of reel I collect. The bail works flawlessly by the way. Thanks to all for the clarification!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme