Stuff happens to lucky people

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Stuff happens to lucky people

Post by corbo »

it seems to me that strange things always happen when you least expect them.
I've not met him, nor spoken with him, but know him. P. White I revere because of what I have heard of him from RS and others. His book on Meisselbach reels struck me, and his passion for smallies on his river sealed the deal, as I have the same.
When those things occurred ten plus years ago the search began. The fly and troller Meiss collection today is respectable, and somewhat complete. Today adding to it is a bit more than difficult than it was to say the least.
Whatever we collect, it is a passion.
I took a flier on an Ebay listing last week and for less than 30 bucks a #11 Amateur on a Bristol nine foot copper plated steel telescoping fly rod showed up today. Both PRISTINE. The description in the ad did not detail what was for sale. Best luck in the past couple of years.
Having a tough time taking my eyes off of either.....awesome....very fortunate guy.
Corbo
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Stuff happens to lucky people

Post by Mike N »

“Best luck in the past couple of years.
Having a tough time taking my eyes off of either.....awesome....very fortunate guy.”

That’s great. It really goes to prove the real first rule of collecting: don’t buy it because it’s priced right or a great value. Buy it because you like looking at it in your collection. Congrats.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Been pretty lucky of late myself. At christmas time a gift of a Kentucky reel from an O.R.C.A. member. Then in the last few days a gift of about a dozen assorted Pflueger reels from another ORCA member down sizing. Didn't need either, but great to have good friends.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Congrats, Corbo! What Mike and Jon said!

I remember a few years back I was playing a lot of golf with a couple buddies who were pretty good...playing to around a 6 while I was putzing along with an 18. I spent a lot of time in the woods and my golf bag, looking for balls; seemed like every time they hit towards the trees, the woods would spit their balls back out in the fairway! This prompted me to lament how incredibly lucky single digit handicappers were :D ...they are still giving me crap about that to this day and well deserved....they worked for their game as you worked to find that reel hidden amongst badly described auctions! You do the work, it pays off; if you don't....well....just sayin'....
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Mr. Elder,
Played to a seven at one time for a while. At that level it's called having some natural ability, but more what's between your ears. Wayward shots of mine stayed where they landed...that's golf. Getting up and down from hell for an amateur is the best challenge of the game, no matter your age, or where you hit it. Do that well, and you are single digit.
This collecting game we have here is a little different. It's called your level of knowledge as to what you may be doing during, or after, you pull the trigger on a purchase or a sale. That only comes from pain.
We've all learned from our mistakes. The key is don't make them twice, or at the least limit them.
Funny thing is, I try but I still do...and could care less.
D
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Congratulations on a nice find corbo. And I agree with your assessment of P White. He's a super nice guy that has helped me with my collection on many occasions.