2 Cool Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

2 Cool Reels

Post by Low Profile »

I picked up these 2 cool sleeper reels in a bundle from Langs Discovery auction this weekend for a dime. Redifor is a bit of an unknown to me. I have a Pflueger branded Redifor that is GS but this one looks pre-Pflueger and nickel plated brass. How does this model/version compare to the Pflueger versions in terms of desirability or scarcity.

Other reel is a Pflueger quadruple 60 yd. At first I thought just another run-of-the-mill plated reel but it is so smooth as silk and has an internal gear bridge and internals are very similar to those I've seen on higher end reels.

Neither reel is a perfect example but for what I paid for them I can't complain. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tx, Low Profile
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Re: 2 Cool Reels

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

The 2nd Reel 60 Yd. Pflueger with the Peened and Aligned Slotted Screws is a significant find as I believe those reels are Custom Made!!!
GOOD FIND !
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The Redifor reel is also a keeper and the company has a long and interesting history with some great reels. Not sure on dates, but Pflueger obtained the name (and company?) from them and started using on the Pfl reels. Lots to read in the archives here:

search.php?keywords=Redifor&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Thanks for the replies and info. - I'm definitely looking forward to doing some additional research on both reels.

Tx, Low Profile
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Both reels are good ones. Congratulations on a nice find
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Was the Lang's auction not well attended? The new location is too far for me and I thought I saw something about no online buds this time. I might be mistaken about that though. If anything else like this went away for low prices, maybe the drive would have been worth it!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

James - I bid online - didn't win, but I was able to bid.
Sid Lehr
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

That makes me feel better! Thanks Sid. Fantastic pick up on those two reels though!
-James-
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

The auction was decently attended but by no means a full house and there were plenty of vacant seats. Agree that the new location had much to do with this along with the bad weather. Anyone who drove up 81 early Saturday morning thru tug hill with 5" of snow on the road had an experience they won't forget.

Selection was about normal or a bit below par on the reel side of things and some items (Fly rods) were hitting the hammer well beyond what I was willing to pay. They advertise as a live auction (in person) but they were apparently accepting absentee bids which was a bit odd and kind of ---- some of us off who made the drive. We decided to leave about 3/4 way thru due to the weather. They did discuss the possibility of an outdoors show coinciding with the next auction in the spring.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Ah, ok. So I wasn't just imagining things. Well glad you got a good deal to make the trip worth it. The 3 1/2 hour drive through the snow would have taken twice that long for me I'm sure. It's still a new situation so I'm sure there will be some kinks to work out.
-James-