Anyone ever seen or have this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Anyone ever seen or have this reel?

Post by colby sorrells »

Anyone ever seen or have this reel? Please notice the large adjusting knob on the tailplate end. Saltwater from the late 1930s. Thanks for the help.

Colby
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Anyone ever seen or have this reel?

Post by john elder »

Colby, any other hints to be dropped here? Probable country of origin?? I see time frame around the thirties. Such a big knob on the rear bearing implies it involved a drag mechanism, not just an adjuster of end play!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:Such a big knob on the rear bearing implies it involved a drag mechanism, not just an adjuster of end play!
Could be anti-backlash as well, like the "A-Square Fluid Hub" as described in TRN Jan 2004 p10. It might appear from that article that the company was around in the 30's, but I think I see these show up more on Penn surf reels from the 40's.
Sid Lehr
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

John,
Here's a couple more hints. Not really trying to hide anything just hoped someone would recognize the reel in the photo. Sometimes hard to recognize a patent drawing. Has anyone ever seen one of these reels?

Keepin" It Fun!
Colby
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat reel design! Sid, from the looks of the patent drawings [ thanks, Colby,!], the intent was to have drag disk apply pressure from both sides of the spool, presumably controlled by the knob on the back plate... the reverse direction from what occurs with many fin-nor reels and others.

Unfortunately, I don’t recall seeing one!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:Neat reel design! Sid, from the looks of the patent drawings [ thanks, Colby,!], the intent was to have drag disk apply pressure from both sides of the spool, presumably controlled by the knob on the back plate... the reverse direction from what occurs with many fin-nor reels and others.

Unfortunately, I don’t recall seeing one!
Well, yeah, now that we have the patent info that's an easy call. The patent text says that 26, 27 and 28 in the diagrams are "friction disks", so I'm sure you're correct.

Edit: I just realized that those are two pages from two different patents, I only looked at the top one.
Sid Lehr
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Second patent was an improvement of the first. I have not found any examples of the second reel but did find the photo shown above of the first reel. I was hoping to find an actual example for a better photo.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby