Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:37 pm 
Star Board Poster
It’s Time For me to start looking for a best flight plan from the Left Coast! Thoughts on how best to get to Harpers Ferry? I assume it will involve a car rental at that end, but not sure about where to fly in...thoughts?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:10 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
John- Glad to hear you are planning to be there! Your post prompted me to book my flight to IAD Washington Dulles.

Hopefully, everyone thinking about going is also sending in their registrations.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
John

Washington Dulles is the nearest large airport. About 45 minutes to Harpers Ferry.

Roger

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:03 pm 
Super Board Poster
I can only think about it. Unfortunately being full time "Nurse Rat ---" precludes me from going. I will be thinking of all of you in attendance. Have fun. Jon (Former Marion The Librarian)

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 pm 
Star Board Poster
Ah, that’s great news! Direct flights from SD to Dulles, so that’s better than bouncing off Chi or Dallas. I gotta make this one, since it will be chock full of Best Friends I’ve Never Met!

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:43 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Ultra Board Poster
If you guys fly into Washington & rent a car then take the back roads out of town. Avoid the interstates as they are just large parking lots.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
If anyone needs me to sponsor their West Virginia passport application, please answer the following four questions:

1. Are you now or have you ever been a Pitt fan?
2. Do you watch Barnwood Builders on DYI Network, and if not were you at least a Don Knotts (WV native) fan as Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show?
3. Do you know at least a few lines of the song Take Me Home Country Roads?
4. Who is the NBA logo silhouette?

Correct answers:
1. No, or hell no.
2. Yes to both
3. Duh, I know the whole song by heart.
4. Zeke from Cabin Creek, aka Jerry West.

If you answered all 4 correctly, you scan me your WV Passport Application for sponsorship signature.

Mike N

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Both my grandparents and parents are from WVA, and my father did his undergrad at WVU during the Jerry West era. Having said that, WVU fans make it hard to love them. But I am sure the reverse is true. The family moved to Kentucky, but was arrested for smuggling books across the state line ;-}

I strongly recommend consideration of Southwest Airlines into BWI. They are reliable and low-cost. It is a 70 mile trip to Harpers Ferry via I-70, and you miss most of the terrible traffic. Traffic is not great anywhere in the area, but you should avoid out of National Airport if possible. BWI is a hub, and should make direct flights possible most areas.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:59 am 
Reel Talk Member
Ultra Board Poster
Got all answers right except J. West. But did see him play at Louisville in NCAA Finals (half a century ago at least). I was there! Where were you?!

Bad Bob

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
RAM wrote:Got all answers right except J. West. But did see him play at Louisville in NCAA Finals (half a century ago at least). I was there! Where were you?!

Bad Bob

Yep. West Virginia lost to California in the NCAA basketball championship game, 71-70 in 1959. I was six months old, but I guarantee you I cried over that score.