Flying to Harpers Ferry?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Flying to Harpers Ferry?

Post by john elder »

It’s Time For me to start looking for a best flight plan from the Left Coast! Thoughts on how best to get to Harpers Ferry? I assume it will involve a car rental at that end, but not sure about where to fly in...thoughts?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Flying to Harpers Ferry?

Post by Paul M »

John- Glad to hear you are planning to be there! Your post prompted me to book my flight to IAD Washington Dulles.

Hopefully, everyone thinking about going is also sending in their registrations.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

John

Washington Dulles is the nearest large airport. About 45 minutes to Harpers Ferry.

Roger
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I can only think about it. Unfortunately being full time "Nurse Rat ---" precludes me from going. I will be thinking of all of you in attendance. Have fun. Jon (Former Marion The Librarian)
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, that’s great news! Direct flights from SD to Dulles, so that’s better than bouncing off Chi or Dallas. I gotta make this one, since it will be chock full of Best Friends I’ve Never Met!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

If you guys fly into Washington & rent a car then take the back roads out of town. Avoid the interstates as they are just large parking lots.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

If anyone needs me to sponsor their West Virginia passport application, please answer the following four questions:

1. Are you now or have you ever been a Pitt fan?
2. Do you watch Barnwood Builders on DYI Network, and if not were you at least a Don Knotts (WV native) fan as Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show?
3. Do you know at least a few lines of the song Take Me Home Country Roads?
4. Who is the NBA logo silhouette?

Correct answers:
1. No, or hell no.
2. Yes to both
3. Duh, I know the whole song by heart.
4. Zeke from Cabin Creek, aka Jerry West.

If you answered all 4 correctly, you scan me your WV Passport Application for sponsorship signature.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Both my grandparents and parents are from WVA, and my father did his undergrad at WVU during the Jerry West era. Having said that, WVU fans make it hard to love them. But I am sure the reverse is true. The family moved to Kentucky, but was arrested for smuggling books across the state line ;-}

I strongly recommend consideration of Southwest Airlines into BWI. They are reliable and low-cost. It is a 70 mile trip to Harpers Ferry via I-70, and you miss most of the terrible traffic. Traffic is not great anywhere in the area, but you should avoid out of National Airport if possible. BWI is a hub, and should make direct flights possible most areas.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Got all answers right except J. West. But did see him play at Louisville in NCAA Finals (half a century ago at least). I was there! Where were you?!

Bad Bob
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RAM wrote:Got all answers right except J. West. But did see him play at Louisville in NCAA Finals (half a century ago at least). I was there! Where were you?!

Bad Bob

Yep. West Virginia lost to California in the NCAA basketball championship game, 71-70 in 1959. I was six months old, but I guarantee you I cried over that score.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990