Rogue Reels Big Game Fish and Captain Stu Apte

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Rogue Reels Big Game Fish and Captain Stu Apte

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

Always nice to find the reels that have been there and done that. Took me a bit of time but I managed to pick up a few from fishing legend Stu Apte hisownself..... Stu pretty close to wore this reel out! Must have seen some fishing in its day.

My history with the Rogue Reel
Some many years ago, during the late 1950s I was a backcountry fishing guide in the Lower Florida Keys. Fly fishing in the saltwater was almost unheard of. My guiding was in an area that during certain times of the year had lots of 80 to 100 pound tarpon, large permit and a goodly amount of big bonefish.

I guided John Shaw, owner of the Rogue Reel Company for two days of tarpon and bone fishing in the Florida Keys. I guess he was impressed with the fishing and my guiding ability because before he left to go back to Grants Pass Oregon he gave me two of his fly reels. They both had the finger sticking out of the drag adjustment area. This finger was for a quick release of the drag while you were trolling a lure or a fly for salmon or trout.

I promptly loaded one of the reels with backing and an eight weight fly line. There was a problem in the wind with the fly line being caught on the finger when you cast. So, I cut it off flush with the drag adjustment.

I told John Shaw about what I did and that because of the saltwater the reel needed to be anodized and this black anodized reel was what he came up with. I used this reel to catch numerous big tarpon and one very large Pacific sailfish.

Stu Apte

The original reel to the left with the drag brake cut off. Anodized reel on right with modification that Stu requested of no drag lever sticking out. This was later cataloged as the Modified 200 fly reel or M-200.

Above is the M-200 drag wheel.

86 pound sailfish caught on the black reel above.

WANTED!

WTB
These Reels! Finder Fee Paid.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Rogue Reels Big Game Fish and Captain Stu Apte

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Cool story!......and......acquisition!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
KWpermit
Frequent Board Poster

Post by KWpermit »

Very cool !
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Thanks for sharing
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What they said! Great storyand pictorial!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great story and great reels, thanks for sharing. Stu, better known in the Keys as “Mr. Tarpon”, was an innovator and he worked with several companies helping them develop their rods and reels to perform better in pursuit of salt water fishes. One of his suggestions led to the counterbalance being added to the Fin-nor “Wedding Cake” fly reel. I fished with Stu for tarpon when I lived and worked in the Keys and feel fortunate to count him among my friends. I doubt that anyone has ever caught more tarpon than Stu or knows their habits as well as he does.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Cool reel, great stories.... can anyone point me in the direction of a patent or schematic to help me better understand the workings of this reel? Thanks.
Sid Lehr
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

sdlehr wrote:Cool reel, great stories.... can anyone point me in the direction of a patent or schematic to help me better understand the workings of this reel? Thanks.
Most of what you want to see is in this thread There's a link to the patents if you scroll down a ways.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Midway Tommy D wrote:
sdlehr wrote:Cool reel, great stories.... can anyone point me in the direction of a patent or schematic to help me better understand the workings of this reel? Thanks.
Most of what you want to see is in this thread There's a link to the patents if you scroll down a ways.

Thanks, Tom!
Sid Lehr
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

They counter balance was another request by Apte, that Rogue Reels added, according to Apte.

WANTED!

WTB
These Reels! Finder Fee Paid.