Need help with an ABU Ambassaduer variation...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dan Basore
Frequent Board Poster

Need help with an ABU Ambassaduer variation...

Post by Dan Basore »

I don't recall seeing this variation on a reel. It's serial number 641377 with 4 pillars. The one in the 5 o'clock position doesn't have a screw but a rounded chrome pin secures that hole.

What can you tell me about this? I'm headed out to buy more old tackle today after a month in Argentina and Chile fishing for Golden Dorado and seeing beautiful country. Saw some great very early fishing items in museums but ready to get back to acquiring, researching, writing, displaying and finding homes for fishing stuff and fishing.

Thanks for sharing information,

Dan
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Need help with an ABU Ambassaduer variation...

Post by spadej1 »

I assume you are talking about the ambassadeur 5000/6000 series reels. If you are looking at the rear side plate, and see the Abu Ambassadeur label, logo, and made in Sweden, then there will either be 3 or 4 screw heads on the pillars. If you see 4, its an earlier version. Sometime in the late 60's, they switched to 3 screws and a "pin" for securing the pillars. I'm not an expert on Abu's, but that serial number might be in the neighborhood of the 4-3 screw transition.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Vic.
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Need help with an ABU Ambassaduer variation...

Post by Vic. »

Dan,
Believe your talking about a red 5000 model reel 3 screws would hold the non handle
Side plate and a pin as you are describing. That foot number would indicate it was one of the first 3 screws produced in 1967 these do not normally sell for a large amount and are a fairly common find. Vic.