Prototype ? Home Made ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Prototype ? Home Made ?

Post by Low Profile »

Hi All,

Every now and then I run into a reel of unknown origin. This one was in a heap of $5 reels at a local fishing club swap meet. It was so interesting I had to have it. Kind of a hybrid multiplier fly reel constructed mostly of machined and milled aluminum with brass gearing and a few composite parts. Someone spent some time making this and it is surprisingly decently made. It has an external anti-reverse system and when engaged has a pflueger medalist putt-putt sound. There is also a drag type system that allows the spool to feed line out under pressure without the handle turning backwards. As I sit here I feel that I've seen reels of this general design before but am having brain lock. Any thoughts? I was thinking some type of prototype? shop class project? or other?

Tx, Low Profile

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Prototype ? Home Made ?

Post by john elder »

Darn, I love that! Certainly a lot of thought went into the construction, guided by a lot of talent! I assume the knob next to the crank handle is spring-loaded, so you can pull out, turn 45 degrees to hold out what's likely the anti-reverse?

If you get the urge to part with it, please put me in line!

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

John,

Thanks for the reply and yes, the antireverse mechanism is spring loaded very similar to those of the early Dam Quick spinning reel anti-reverse mechanisms. The nut holding on the handle actually acts as a quasi drag adjustment and I believe the handle material itself (some type of composite) is part of the drag function. The reel itself is not something I would normally be interested in but was so unique I couldn't leave without it. Being where i'm located I believe this reel may have been locally hand/custom made for trolling or dragging spoons for trout or other salmonoids. I'm on the fence what to do with it.

Low Profile
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Very cool! Are there four ramps for the external anti-reverse? I don't get how it can pay line out without the handle turning, though.... the gear train looks pretty rigid, I see no point at which it could disengage or slip, can you show some pics of how that is designed?. The use of composite parts makes it a fairly recent build.
Sid Lehr
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Sid,

Yes there are 4 ramps. I attached a pic of the nut removed. That nut apparently not only holds the handle in place put puts pressure on a spring washer and the amount to tension you apply by turning down that screw creates the drag. I'm kind of blown away because the actual handle material appears to be acting just like as a teflon or other type drag surface would on a normal drag type mechanism. The handle stays stationary during drag just like an antireverse fly reel. The handle nut rotates along with the spool meaning the handle material is part of the drag. I don't know how old this reel is but based on the screws and composites maybe 20-30 yrs? I'ts definitely not anything recent.

Can you post short videos here?

Low Profile

sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I don't know about videos here.... I've not seen any. But thanks for the additional information on the drag design, now I get it. I thought it had to be something like that.
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Low Profile wrote:...Can you post short videos here?
Post your video to Youtube, copy the link and use the [ video][ /video] bbcode (ignoring the extra spaces) to include it in your post, or simply paste the link in the text.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Although there are great differences in the shape of the body I think your reel might have been made by Herb Butler of Herb Butler Engineering located in Spokane Washington. The known version of Butler's multiplying fly reel has many mechanical and physical similarities to your reel. Perhaps he was working on something new as your reel appears to be in an unfinished state or in the design phase. Perhaps it was someone who was, to some degree, imitating Butler's design.

Have a look -

Note in the flyer below the box in the bottom right hand corner states that there will be a 2 % royalty for copying his design or engineering. I like the fact that the royalty would go to improve the fishing in the areas where the reel was sold, a good sound policy! Maybe the guy who made your reel, if in fact it was not Butler, helped improve fishing around the Spokane area.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Wow, No doubt the reel is somehow related to Butler's. I'm on the east coast so wonder if a fisherman with an engineering or machinist background paid the "Royalty" fee thinking this type of reel would fit in very nicely as a trolling reel for some of the larger lakes in the region? And to think Butler also made comment of the Pflueger medalist sound on the information sheet. Really appreciate your time researching and posting the information.

Low Profile