Korean collector?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Korean collector?

Post by sdlehr »

I ran across this website by mistake, thought I'd bring it to your attention; it appears to have originated from Korea and I'm wondering how hard it was for this Korean collector to find all these reels.... and also whether he is aware of ORCA and is interested in joining. I'll be attempting to find his contact info momentarily.
Sid Lehr
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Korean collector?

Post by Teal »

Uhm, I think that is all info and photos taken from Ron Gast's web site ...
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I'll be danged, not just the photos, but the print as well. Hard to imagine what this clown may get in the way of rewards for all that "work", maybe "effort" is a better word, not to downplay all the real work and effort Ron put in. I suppose this is theft of intellectual property....
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Happens all the time. No sooner than it gets a watermark comes a program to remove them. They make money on hits & advertising $. Dr. Todd unsuccessfully fought it off for, it seems like, an eternity.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

This is an all too often occurrence nowadays. While the “fair use” doctrine may allow some unauthorized reproduction for non-profit educational or editorial review purposes, what I’ve seen is beyond the pale.

I published a local history book with the help of a regional museum. The museum director and I spent over two years researching and completing the graphics on a map of all the forts and blockhouses in the upper Ohio River Valley below Ft. Pitt from 1775-1795. I applied for and received a copyright from the US Government Copyright Office. The book and map are even favorably reviewed on the Johns Hopkins University website. Link: https://muse.jhu.edu/article/399326

I allowed another local museum (which asked first) to print the map as a fundraising poster and sell it in their gift shop. Last month, however, I found the map on another legitimate non-profit history website which would have been fine with me ..... except not only didn’t they ask for permission to reprint the map, but both of our names and the copyright claim had been redacted. I sent a cease and desist email and got a hurried apology from the webmaster who basically said he had no idea how our names got removed from our map and then said, “sorry, but other websites have stolen our copyright info too,” as if that made it right. Unreal.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990