Langley fly reel question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Langley fly reel question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I have a Langley Ripley model 185 fly reel. It is set up for RHW. I would like to set it up to be wound with my left hand if this is possible. I have tried to find a way to turn the pawl around but to no avail. Does anyone know how to make this conversion? Is it even possible?
Joe
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Langley fly reel question

Post by sdlehr »

Joe, show us a picture of the guts showing the pawl.
Sid Lehr
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

sdlehr wrote:Joe, show us a picture of the guts showing the pawl.
Sid, you are correct. A picture would help a lot. I will post one pretty soon. Up here in the Smokies, I don't get to use the internet as often as I would like, but I will post a pic directly.
Joe
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Joe,

The Langley Riffle Model 185 only came in RHW, either with a round line guide or one that was square. The position of the line guide really determines it is RHW. However, if you want to use it LHW simply turn it around and forget about the line guide. The click pawl should work fine.

Alan
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Alan, you are correct. There is really no way to convert the reel. The square line guide is riveted in on one side so it can't be moved. The pawl is also designed to be only RHW. What I did was to just turn it around like you suggested. With the drag set to minimal or no drag, it works fine in LHW. The places I fish in the Smoky Mountains and the small trout we catch there makes a drag unnecessary. With the reel turned around to LHW, there is just enough resistance when pulling line out that there is no over spin. It works fine this way.
Joe