Great day at the Spring 2018 CAFTA show

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Great day at the Spring 2018 CAFTA show

Post by Paul M »

I put up a little ORCA display at today's CAFTA show. This is my collection of Canadian made, marked and / or patented fly reels.

This is my shadowbox of early AL&W tackle, including a pretty rare Montague rubber sided reel marked Allcock, Laight and Westwood, Toronto.

My tables were located next to tables operated by ORCA member Mike Walker who is from Oakville, ON. He is in the background of this pic taken during set up. The show was also attended by ORCA member Norm Bryant and I am trying very hard to get more CAFTA people to join but at least I saw several people from the general audience pick up ORCA brochures.

The show was packed at times with members of the general public. Quite a bit of tackle walked in off the street, including quite a few vintage spinning reels in pristine boxed condition. Lots of vendors, tables and oh so much old tackle! Lots of bamboo rods on display too.

I added several Canadian marked/boxed reels to my collection today as well as a nice old Beetzel. I saw many other collectible reels including a Terry winch with the 1871 patent date, a couple of 4-screw Abu Ambassadeur 5000's, A Heddon Lone Eagle and loads of Mitchells. I sold a few items but still came home with an empty wallet.

Of note, I acquired this nice boxed AL&W Superb that Mark tells me is a Kalamazoo reel.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Great day at the Spring 2018 CAFTA show

Post by Mike N »

Very nice, Paul. Thanks for sharing.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks for sharing, Paul, and also for promoting ORCA!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

More of my reel-related haul.

An Akron parts kit

An Inglis-Shakespeare parts kit

An Allcock-Laight and Westwood skeleton reel, probably by H-I - I already had one but this one is complete :)

A nice Warren O, 2 patent date Beetzel with a custom brass stand-off to stop the drag from kicking in.

A Kalamazoo reel in a tin and another AL&W fly reel (JW Young) but this one needs a replacement foot.

A Rudal cheap-o Canadian fly reel... so cheap there is only one knob and no counterbalance.... not even a hole for one. BUT check out the very rare box. I am now looking for any trade catalogs by the Henry L. Hanson company (Montreal Canada). It seems they were the hardware wholesaler that was distributing these little mystery reels in Canada. I have also seen an example of a Sands reel in a Hanson box.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

AL&W SuperbRe: Great day at the Spring 2018 CAFTA show

Post by Paul M »

BTW the AL&W #3876 Superb in the box (probably made by Shakespeare) was first offered in the circa 1941 AL&W Spring and Summer Catalog No. 57 for CAN$5.95. It was featured on a page with 5 other reels l called the 'AL&W "Selected Six" Level Winding Reels'. [All of the cataloged AL&W reels are in the ORCA library if you want to find some Shakespeare, Bronson and Ocean City, JW Young, H-I, Montague etc. trade reels that you never realized existed under other names.]

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Wow, that Rudal reel was so simply made they only drilled four holes in the spool. Thanks for sharing these photos, Paul. Nice to see some variety from a show. I like that AL&W skeleton. Neat reel. My guess would be Winchester or H-I, too.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Paul! Wonderful displays!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures