CM Gatley reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
WhidbeyIslander
Big ORCA Fan

CM Gatley reels

Post by WhidbeyIslander »

Hello all. I've been trying to find information on a BC, Canada reel. I don't have one in my possession but I have seen some photos. They are fly reels or drift reels branded CM Gatley Vancouver, BC. I'm trying to find out if he actually made reels or just sold trade reels with his brand on them. I have seen posts on boards saying he made reels and posts that he only sold Dingley reels under his brand. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Re: CM Gatley reels

Post by Rick H »

Safe to say he made his reels. He was well know, even though there's not much available on him today. Here's a tiny bit of info. courtesy of Phil Wight (Reelgeezer).....

Gatley, C. M. "Tats" - Vancouver BC, emigrated from England and manufactured superlative reels in 1940s, 50s, and 60s.
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
WhidbeyIslander
Big ORCA Fan

Post by WhidbeyIslander »

Hi, thanks for the info. I found a 1951 newspaper interview with him and he never mentioned reels. He was hot on making fishing rods and marketing them on the West Coast. He made many different rods from 5-strip bamboo, to combination bamboo and fiberglass, to all fiberglass. He was making thousands per year. I know there are lures with his brand name on them too. May be in the late 1950s or 1960s he made tackle other than rods.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

He definitely made reels also....here's one I found on the net;

Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -