Another interesting unknown reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Another interesting unknown reel

Post by john elder »

Well, unnamed and unknown to me! ORCAN Jeff Holcombe found this one. Maybe someone will recognize enough character to give hint as to maker. It’s made of aluminum and brass and i see a reel with similarities in Graham Turner’s examples of UK reels, i like the way the maker used long screws that extend through the hollow brass pillars and screw into the face plate. It’s a solid little reel whose only significant flaw was in the use of a brass clicker; the poor thing is just eaten away from years of constant clicking! It will look nice on jeff’s shelf, regardless!

Note the drill marks on both faces of the face plate. I originally thought this was to reduce weight, but it’s aluminum! I believe the purpose was to help hold grease in place... sort of a time release mechanism?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Another interesting unknown reel

Post by Paul M »

This reel shares style characteristics of the SEJ Flyfisher's Winch. The unusual common elements are the wide arbor, the style of open journal and protruding bearing on the back plate and the way the spool is sunken into the backplate. I will guess Slater.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You may be right, Paul, but I see a lot more differences than similarities with the reel shown in your link. The foot is not the same style and about the only common thing I see is the exposed spindle on the back plate. Seems there were a number of these types of reels made by several makers in the UK and lots of copying of styles....i.e., if it works...if it sells...use it! the reel is very similar to the Hardy Hercules reel shown in the Turner book, but seems likely if they made it, it would have left with the Hardy name on it!

... perhaps a case of “the sincerest form of flattery”?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

An alloy Slater in my collection but it also has numerous differences. Slater made a huge variety of reels and often didn’t mark them. It is hard to be sure without a name.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Dustnstuff
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dustnstuff »

The "X" is the marking that Heaton used.
Dustnstuff
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Well it could be by Heaton but “X” is probably a batch control number that is not unique to Heaton. Heaton reels have other numbers scratched into the internal surfaces too.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

It looks like a Heaton I have, but what do I know?

BB
Dustnstuff
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dustnstuff »

Seems to me that Slater had better quality in their production then Heaton.
The drill marks and holes look uneven and "rushed".
Paul is right in that Heaton used other Roman numerals to mark their reels.
but this still looks like a Heaton made reel.
Dustnstuff
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dustin. I’m assuming that this drill indents were something added later by a fisherman to retard grease migration during us, rather than something done at the factory...and were certainly “rushed”! However, the pillar, foot and spindle holes appear proper.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Smith & Wall, I have had a number of their reels over the years and as far as I am aware the internal drillings were done by them. I have had three reel internally ventilated with a S & W stamped inside.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Certainly looks thematic, Steve. Sure glad mine (now) doesn’t have the spool Leprosy of that eBay reel!

Stefan, it may be a Smith and Wall product, but it is not internally “ventilated” since the drill marks are just indents, with the exception of a couple that have corroded.

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member