Wells Maker Edinburgh

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Wells Maker Edinburgh

Post by Paul M »

A fellow contacted me about this circa 1875 Scottish fly reel marked Wells Maker Edinburgh. It appears to be a nickel plated brass fly reel with an ivory grasp. The unusually clear cross-hatching of the grain in the grasp is a strong indication that it is made from a tusk. The owner got the reel from an older gentleman and it’s been sitting around for a few decades, only resurfacing after a move. I have invited the owner to join the discussion here.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Wells Maker Edinburgh

Post by john elder »

Neat! Would be interesting to see what this reel looks like apart!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
andreas1980
Big ORCA Fan

Post by andreas1980 »

I've never had it open to see inside. As said below I was given this reel about 20 years ago by my Grandmother's neighbour with a Salmon rod. I believe the Gentleman still fished with it although I don't think he did much salmon fishing in his latter days. It had been in a box somewhere and I always wanted to know something about it.

I remember him saying the handle was Ivory. I myself have never used it and just had it stored away. I would love to hear any info anyone has. So far I believe it was made in Leith St Edinburgh which is interesting as I lived in Leith.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Information about these reels is hard to come by. Graham Turner’s book shows two Wells, presumably father and son? A David Wells made reels from 1873-1899; B. Wells is shown making reels at the same address on Leith st from 1896-99. Your reel seems to have been made by what is described as a “Scottish pattern style”reel
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
andreas1980
Big ORCA Fan

Post by andreas1980 »

Thanks for the information. Do you know if they are common and what the value might be? I'm not sure what I will do with it as I don't collect and probably won't t use it so someone else may enjoy it more.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

In general, there were a lot of similar reels made in the UK for 100 years or so, so although some are harder to find than others, its hard to consider them rare. The US market is poor for these, with no broad interest in them on this side of the pond. However, our Canadian colleagues might have a different view. MHO would be in the $30-40 range here.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

These reels were made by Malloch or Slater and they are fairly common, however the silvered finish is rare.