Help I.D. Hard rubber and nickel silver reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
coz
Big ORCA Fan

Help I.D. Hard rubber and nickel silver reel

Post by coz »

Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. I came across an unmarked reel that seems to be of decent quality and decent condition. I would say the plating is about 90 % and the click is strong. I am more of a fly fishing tackle enthusiast so I need some help. I am not even sure what type of fishing this reel would be used for. It seems to be hard rubber with nickel silver. It measures 2 1/2" wide without the handle and it is 3" in diameter. The foot is just under 2 3/4" long and just under 3/4" wide at it's widest point. Can anyone enlighten me as to the maker and age along with it's intended use?

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by coz on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Hard rubber and nickel silver

Post by Steve »

Interesting that the crank is mounted at 3:00 o'clock, but the tailplate design doesn't suggest it's a left-handed model. Is that print on the spool arbor or just lines? Gear ratio? Freespool clutch?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Ed.

Where in CT are you ? I'm in Ridgefield.

I can't help you with the maker ...but as for the intended use ...I'm fairly certain it was for reeling in fishing line.

:roll:

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
coz
Big ORCA Fan

Post by coz »

No marks just lines. Free spool clutch..............I am in Southington Dean, and I definitely deserved that one. Actually Dean I think we have done some business. I just can't remember
when. Possibly a Hardy do-dad of some sort?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Help I.D. Hard rubber and nickel silver reel

Post by john elder »

If it has a free spool clutch, it must be taken out of gear by pulling out on the handle?...or pulling it back or forward? seems unlikely to have one?

As Steve indicates, it looks to be set up to crank as a left hand reel. Given it wouldn't have an anti-reverse, it could be used either way, although the click may show some bias....which way does it turn most comfortably when the click is engaged?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
coz
Big ORCA Fan

Post by coz »

John, you are correct no clutch. I thought it was either one or the other....... gear or clutch............. fly reels are much simpler!! The reel is definitely made to be wound with your left hand. Any ideas as to the maker?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

made to be wound with your left hand
It bothers me that if it's left-handed, you would think that the click button would be pushable, rather than pullable, on the tailplate. That's the case with left-handed models from Shakespeare et al. I.e., the tailplate geometry is correct for a right-handed reel, with its click control at 3:00 o'clock.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."