EVH 9/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
seareel
Frequent Board Poster

EVH 9/0

Post by seareel »

I have finished cleaning a EVH 9/0 621. I noticed that the foot was made for a rod clamp. Was this foot a special order, or an optional part?
Thank you for all your help.

-seareel

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: EVH 9/0

Post by john elder »

Beautiful reel, David, but as far as I know, that is not a factory Vom Hofe foot. Most likely, it replaced an old foot that had been broken, bent or whatever. Are there any numbers, letters , etc stamped into it?

You will often find additional ( ie., in addition to the large central hole normally present in EVH feet) Holes that May have served for additional screws into the reel seat or sometimes to hang the reel when not in use. I have not seen documentation that VH did that. Maybe someone else will speak up!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
seareel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seareel »

The side of the foot is stamped Z-220, in Ted Bingham book (Edward Vom Hofe), it says that the z = 1933. The bottom of the foot is stamped 621 - 9/0. Maybe it is one of a kind, since the reel is monogrammed.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Since it is marked my guess is that it was a custom foot made by Edward vom Hofe. It does resemble the foot on a Montague Imperial so there might be an outside chance that it might be a replacement made by Montague.

Montague Imperial foot (Thanks Tony)
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.