Repair box or not

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Repair box or not

Post by Wayne B. »

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I will bring it up again. I just purchased a period correct box for my Penn 9/0 Senator. It has two split seams...the ones on both sides of the label. Tape it from inside, or leave it alone?
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Repair box or not

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I may get chastised for this idea, but what the heck. If it were mine I would reinforce the corners full length on the inside using a folded 1" strip of heavy manila colored paper glued in place, but then I hate taped anything on reel boxes. I've done it many times with great success. Patience is the key. In my mind a skillfully repaired box is worth a lot more than a falling apart non-repaired box.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Absolutely agree!!
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Before putting tape on it, take some Elmer’s white glue and a toothpick. Put glue on the toothpick and run a bead along the split seam, working it in between the two sides, from inside. Wrap as many rubber bands as it takes around the box until all the surface is in contact and set aside. Can use protected wood clamps with light pressure if no rubber bands big enough. If any glue is on the outside edge, wipe off gently with a wet rag. Don’t apply more pressure than is needed to make secure contact as you don’t want to distort the box. You can always tape over the top on inside if you feel this isn’t enough, but bond will be strong.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

May I suggest using artists non-acid mounting tape (used in mounting such as water colors). It will prevent eventual discoloring of the box. It will take time, but such as ordinary tape or glue will eventually cause acidizing and ruin the pic-or in this case the box. Can be bought cheap at any good art supply place.

Bad Bob
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I have used the same method as John many times with very satisfactory results. Never use tape unless it is a newer box with minimal value. When using the glue it is almost undetectable. I also use it on the weaker corners but always from the inside.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Also, use wax paper between any wood or plastic blocks and the box. This will prevent the blocks from sticking to the cardboard if a little glue seeps out along the edges.

Here's a link to some similar discussion from a few years ago.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I've saved a couple of boxes using glue myself too. Had to put one back together like a puzzle.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The old "chimney" boxes seem to suffer from split corners more than any others. They're notorious for getting misshapen, shrinking and splitting. I've done a couple of "puzzles" myself over the years and dozens of corner repairs using Tommy's method. It's all worth the time and effort as, in my opinion, there's nothing cooler than an original boxed example. I often admire the boxes more than the reels they housed. Repair them all!
Mark