Update: My D. SLater Wood Reel Arrived today

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Monkeypaws
Big ORCA Fan

Update: My D. SLater Wood Reel Arrived today

Post by Monkeypaws »

Well I received my first wooden fly reel in the mail today. It is a 1889 D. Slater Model 274. The reel is in great shape for being 129 years old. After a quick inspection all I had to do is clean the wood, brass and apply some Alkanet root oil. The reel has a nice strong clicker and will work well on one of my vintage bamboo fly rods. The reel diameter is about 3" and is surprisingly lightweight.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Update: My D. SLater Wood Reel Arrived today

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That turned out really nice! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Beautiful!!! Elegant, albeit simple construction! Nice score!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

I will reply here to this post and a post you put on Classic Reels

I have 7 Slater catalogues hence the reason I can identify them easily ranging from 1887 to 1914.

This phone shot is from the 1911 catalogue.

[img]
[/img]

I don't know who told you it was 1889 but I think they are incorrect, 1910 era certainly and still very old.

Personally I am not a fan of polished reels and it certainly is a matter of opinion, friends have the problem with what their wives will allow on show and a polished reel certainly scores higher than a dirty scruffy one. However Slater did not polish his reels they were lacquered brass like most makers were. I have over the years tried to reproduce the effect but have come nowhere near. One guy did with a finish that was a horological lacquered one. Not quite there but very close.

Its a very fine line we tread over the condition of our reels.

Here is a reel Nottingham made approx 200 years old that will be featured in the Book Men of Trent due out next month.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

I forgot the image.

Brass bindings on the rims.
Monkeypaws
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Monkeypaws »

Thank you so much for the update. When I tell people historical information, I like the detail to be correct. I look forward to the new book coming out.