Alcedo Micron PUM ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Alcedo Micron PUM ?

Post by arley »

Got an Alcedo Micron yesterday. It has no bail. Anyone know if they made a manual pickup like this one has? It appears to be factory as it shows no evidence of being just a cut off bail wire, too smooth and precision work.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Alcedo Micron PUM ?

Post by john elder »

Arley, not sure they ever came from the factory that way, but I understand it was a common practice a few years back to convert these to bail-less for fishing. Seems like intentional infliction of pain and suffering to me, but what do I know?!

Midway Tommy should be finishing his coffee soon and will fill us in.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

The pickup is polished and smooth- sure looks factory to me. Perhaps if someone has an Alcedo catalog it may be listed.
P.s. was it 4:31 PST when you replied? Earlybird eh?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

They say retired people often get up in the middle of the night for some odd reason. :mrgreen:

On my second cup of coffee now so things are starting to be a little less foggy. Had to make breakfast for "da mama" you know! :D

I've never heard of a factory PUM for a Micron, but if any body knows for sure I would think it would be Sergio. There were some pretty good metal-smiths out there that could do fantastic work. I usually check the opposite side on the rotor to see if it looks like there was ever any use or wear.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

The ORCA Library has one Alcedo document from 1990 featuring Alcedo Spinning Reels. The 2 C/S and Micron are featured. This is a 2-page document with a Micron Schematic and Parts List. No mention of a PUM, and not featured in diagrams...
Sid Lehr
blf
Frequent Board Poster

Post by blf »

Hey Arley/ guess what ????
the alcedo micron i traded u for, now has a factory manual pick up. have had 1 for 30 or so years could not find a reel for a reasonable price to put under it. i will fish with this 1, but started castiing in 1956. dad bought me 1 for Skish Spinning, 1/4oz accuracy, in Lubbock,Texas. from the local tackle store. don't remember what happened to reel. Steve Aleshi, (my mentor in tournament casting) gave me the pick up. kept it, all these years.

tks for a great deal.the orvis is great also.

B.L. Farley (jjw)
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Big- can you post a pic of the manual pick up?