Orvis 4th model fly reel (“No. 2 Improved for Bass Fishing”)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Orvis 4th model fly reel (“No. 2 Improved for Bass Fishing”)

Post by Mike N »

Dr. Elder just cleaned this up for me.

The Fourth Model’s “overhanging rim” is what primarily makes it different from the Third Model shown on Ron G.’s website. Compare: https://luresnreels.com/orvis.html

Last edited by Mike N on Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Orvis 4th model fly reel

Post by Mike N »

Ron Gast was kind enough to send me the following illustration from the 1910 Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.

It appears the reel we are calling the Fourth Model — with the balanced handle, safety band (overhanging rim), and back-sliding click as shown in the photos— was sold by A&F as the Orvis “No.2 Improved for Bass Fishing.”

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Orvis 4th model fly reel (“No. 2 Improved for Bass Fishing”)

Post by wrong99 »

I love it!
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I suppose the next question is why “180” is stamped on the foot if the catalog indicates its maximum line capacity is 70-80 yards? Any thoughts?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I think that's maybe a 100 with an overstamp? Makes more sense then a 180 ...
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Teal wrote:I think that's maybe a 100 with an overstamp? Makes more sense then a 180 ...

Teal- I agree it appears to be an overstamp. I have the 1909 Orvis catalog PDF on order from our ORCA library and will be interested to see if any 100 yard capacity models were offered.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Mike,

In the article written by Jim Brown years ago, he speculates that the 3rd and 4th versions were marked with a serial number between the foot pillars. All the third versions and one forth version Orvis reel I've held all had different numbers - and in 2008 Lang's sold an all aluminum 3rd version that had the number "26" between the pillars. Given that the Manhattan Brass Mfg. Co. was making/building these reels for Orvis, it could also be a "batch" number - much like the Kentucky reels we all see with Roman numerals and/or numbers scratched into the parts for assembly. Otherwise, I think we'd see serial numbers in the thousands on these reels - they must have sold more than a few hundred.
Just my two cents.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim Schottenham wrote:Mike,

In the article written by Jim Brown years ago, he speculates that the 3rd and 4th versions were marked with a serial number between the foot pillars. All the third versions and one forth version Orvis reel I've held all had different numbers - and in 2008 Lang's sold an all aluminum 3rd version that had the number "26" between the pillars. Given that the Manhattan Brass Mfg. Co. was making/building these reels for Orvis, it could also be a "batch" number - much like the Kentucky reels we all see with Roman numerals and/or numbers scratched into the parts for assembly. Otherwise, I think we'd see serial numbers in the thousands on these reels - they must have sold more than a few hundred.
Just my two cents.
Thanks, Jim. Great insight. Serial or batch numbers make sense given the different numerical stampings on the Third and Fourth models.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Since Jim S. mentioned the Manhattan Brass Mfg. Co., here is a link to a company history:

http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_manhattan.htm

For more on the Manhattan Brass/Orvis connection, see the bottom of page 12 of this article from the American Fly Fisher, the journal of the Museum of American Fly Fishing (now called AMFF):

http://www.amff.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... No2web.pdf

PS — in the photo on p.13, note that that first reel appears to have no handle at all, but simply a grasp and counterweight attached to the perforated front frame.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I didn't take any internal pics, since there really wasn't much to see in there, but I'm pretty sure this reel had the typical scrawled "batch" numbers inside, so it's not that. Seems a jobber stamping such a prominent number on the outside where it would be seen would have lost that contract pretty fast. Dunno what to make of Jim's "26" but if not a serial number, then I like Dr. Todd's yardage idea. I would surmise that it was first stamped "80", then converted to "100". This would make sense if the frame had originally been committed to the #1 line and later added to the bass size line...just MHTs
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures