Help Me Identify These Nice Brass Fly Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Monkeypaws
Big ORCA Fan

Help Me Identify These Nice Brass Fly Reels

Post by Monkeypaws »

Hello All,
Well the auction bug has bit again. This time in the shape of two brass fly reels from the UK. I bought them both for about $40.00 and can't wait to get my hands on them. The seller said that they were from the 1880-1900's and are unmarked. They have bone handles and one measures 2 1/2" and the other is 2 3/4". I think they will be a great addition to my ever expanding collection. Thanks MP

Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Help Me Identify These Nice Brass Fly Reels

Post by Low Profile »

MP,

Nice reels. Brass fly reels have always had a mystique about them. I like them because most are robustly constructed and have a variety of materials incorporated including brass, german silver, ebonite and exotic handle knob materials. I'm not sure about who manufactured your examples but I do recall a thread on another forum discussing this. If not marked it's a guess but certainly of England, Ireland or Scotland origin. It is very common for there to be roman numerals hand inscribed on the inner parts presumably used to match parts during assembly. I enjoy mine even know it sometimes a pain to find a reel seat they will actually fit on. They are bullet proof so lube-em up and take them fishing and have a blast. The tiny raised pillar got a work out with that wild brown.

Tx, Low Profile