Jeweled end caps

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Jeweled end caps

Post by corbo »

Ladies/Gents,
I've been drawn to Hendryx raised pillars for years and have acquired a number 25/40/60, as the quality of their reels produced I have appreciated. These are the only additions to the Meisselbachs acquired.
Admittedly, I know little about Hendryx other than that they produced and sold 2M reels in a relatively short period of time before selling to Winchester.
I have seen only a very few Hendryx pillars available for sale with jeweled end caps. I would appreciate hearing as to whether they were produced by the firm by one of you that may know. I'm in the dark.
Jeweling caps is not a difficult thing to do and I have opposition to acquiring a reel that's not as originally produced.
Dave
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Jeweled end caps

Post by john elder »

Dave, I believe you are asking whether Hendryx ever used jeweled bearing caps? I looked over my rather meager Hendryx collection and none are jeweled, but that doesn't mean a lot. I pulled out an old Fishing Collectables book by Russell Lewis since it had a number of pics of Hendryx reels...none have jeweled bearing caps.

I quickly add that not finding something proves nothing!

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The 1904 Hendryx catalog does not show a single example with jeweled end caps. I personally have never seen one.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The 1910 Hendryx catalog in the ORCA library shows several Quadruple NLW reels with jewelled end caps but they are not the raised pillar style that was mentioned up top.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I have a Hendryx Saltwater reel with jewels, and a couple of baitcasters. That's it though, and none raised pillar.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Well,
Just spent a whopping $24 moments ago on an as advertised "jeweled" Hendryx raised pillar on Fbay, and am anxious to get it in hand. Will post some photos to see what you guys say, and hope it may prove to have been a good find. Have around 40 of these little guys, all RP in VGC and no duplicates and one with a counterweight to die for. The little vom Hofes and one or two others are likely to find new homes shortly as I feel the need to grind this thing to a halt somewhere.
Hendryx was aggressive and prolific with their offering...they were sturdy, nicely designed, and just plain appealing to me as a fisherman.
Meiss fly and trollers remains to be the love. The holes are Expert 22's in both finishes with head plate exposed gear....so far no luck finds. P. White likely owns them and the others are in a rathole to be found someday. RS has told me he has neither.
Anyway, thank you guys for your responses on this one.
Dave
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

here she is...…..Thoughts? . ...corbo