Shakespeare Perfect Click button-2 sizes

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Perfect Click button-2 sizes

Post by Reelman2 »

I would like to thank Chad Snyder for helping me with this dilemma. I recently purchased a 60 yd Shakespeare Perfect narrow spool reel. After receiving it I noticed that the click button was smaller than some of the other Perfects. At first I thought that it must be a replacement. Then I remembered that Chad had a 40 yd one so I asked him to send me a pic of the reverse plate. He gladly obliged me with the pic. The click button on his was the larger one. So I again thought it must be a replacement on mine. Then I did what I should have done first. I went and checked all of my Perfect reels and noticed that at least half of mine had the smaller button. Shakespeare must have used both on the Perfects. If anyone can shed more light on this please feel free to do so. I posted this so that if anyone else finds a Perfect with the smaller click button they won't be tempted to jump to the same conclusion that I did.

Chad S
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Perfect Click button-2 sizes

Post by Chad S »

I think it came the way the wear matches the button size and I can't see any larger wear around it like it was ever changed. Nice reel from the second high bidder!
RandyAnderson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by RandyAnderson »

You are comparing 2 different vintages of Perfects. If you notice the one in the last picture also has the earlier
end caps, a 1910 model I believe. The 1910 model Perfect had a sliding button for the drag, while the 1924 model has a rim wheel on the head plate and I cannot tell where the click is on the Perfect shown. Which model is it?

Which size Perfect is the hardest to find, the 40 yd, the 50 yd. or the 60 yd?
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I have a 1910 Perfect model 13051 with the smaller click button. I have another 1910 Perfect model 23051 with the larger click button. Since I have only seen 2 or 3 40 yd models and this is the only 60 yd model I have ever seen and I have never seen a 50 or a 55 I think it is kind of a toss up. And yes they did make a 55 yd model 31651. I have a 1922 model 23051 with the larger click button. I now have Perfects in the following yardages: 60, 80, 100, 120, and 150.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Chad S
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chad S »

This is a 1910 Shakespeare 40yd Perfect which I think is the harder one to find I know of 1 other. I don't recall any Shakespeare Perfect reels with a rim wheel?