Help me to identify this reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Monkeypaws
Big ORCA Fan

Help me to identify this reel

Post by Monkeypaws »

I picked up this Old reel at a thrift shop to match up with my Montague trolling rod. The reel cleaned up nicely. It is a no name reel but functions great. Any ideas who made this reel?

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Help me to identify this reel

Post by john elder »

Er....well....you best put it on the rod, pointing at the fish instead of the fisherman’s navel :oops: ...either that, or you have a rare left hand version...or the anti-reverse isn’t working and it will crank either way!

I will either say Ocean City or Horrocks-Ibbotson. OC would typically be stamped on the bottom of the foot, tho...H-I put out a lot of unlabeled trade reels.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

There are subtle differences between my Ocean City Brigantine and this reel, enough for me to believe this one could be unmarked from a different year. Mine has an S-shaped handle blade, a wood grasp, and is clearly marked on the foot. When I get time I'll put up some pics.
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Here it is. I bought it from Joe K last August to practice plate repair on the tail plate.

Sid Lehr
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels