Mitchell 300 Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell 300 Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I am wanting a Mitchell 300 for my collection. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? On the "bay" auction site, they are all over the board price wise and condition wise. I want one that can be fished if I want to fish with it. It can be used as long as it is in good condition. An original box would be nice but isn't a deal breaker. I know they originally came with two spools; i.e., a small capacity spool and a large capacity spool, so two spools would be nice. I know these reels are very plentiful so I can take my time looking.

I bought one brand new when I was 12 years old or so and I caught literally hundreds of fish with it. Sometime in my late 20's, it just stopped working properly, so I just threw it away and bought some new fangled external spool reel. What a dumb a$$ I was. I should have kept it and had it repaired. I now mainly want one for nostalgia sake.
Joe
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 300 Question

Post by spadej1 »

If you mainly want something for memories and possibly fishing, then just look around for the best looking one for a good price. Depending on how many of the accessories come with it, that good price can vary widely. If it were up to me, the pre-70’s models with the chevron/boomerang anti-reverse are better. I prefer the look and that version was while they were in their prime. Otherwise just spend as much as your comfortable. Good luck, they really are great reels!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The only things I might add to what James mentioned, based on what you've said, is to stay away from the "A" models since they were later and cheapened a little. Also, depending on whether or not you want a little quicker lure return, the 400 (blue) is the same as the 300 only it's the high speed version.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the responses. I will take this advice and see what I can come up with.
Joe
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

For fishing, I always preferred the higher speed retreive, the 400 like Tom mentioned or the 410, which is a 400 with rolling element bearings.

But the 350 is my favorite high speed reel. It looks identical to the 300 but has a 4.857 : 1 gear ratio reather than the 3.75 : 1 in the 300. Most Garcia Mitchell 350's have a small "5/1" engraving on the side cover. If you can find a Garcia 350 reel in good shape without the "5/1", go for it. It's more rare.