ORCA Help with Kewell Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

ORCA Help with Kewell Reel

Post by Alan Baracco »

ORCANS,

I am finishing up an article for the REEL NEWS about the Kewell's, fishing tackle makers in both England and San Francisco.

Does anyone know of an example of the fly reel pictured in this 1919 American Angler ad? I'm looking to get a picture for the article.

Thanks,

Alan
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Re: ORCA Help with Kewell Reel

Post by Low Profile »

Alan,

That's a tough one. Never seen one of those in person or at auction. Only pics in books. I believe the book Antique Collectible Fishing Reels has a decent write up on the reel with pics and that's about all I've seen on it.

If someone actually has one I'd love to se some nice pictures as well.

tx, Low Profile
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Haven’t seen a reel labeled “Kewell” either, Alan.... but i wonder if he he paid the bills doing trade reels??

Pretty much identical to this winchester, except mine is grasp-challenged
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Guys,

Thanks for the reply, I knew it was a long-shot based on Jellison & Homel's description in the book LP cites. They indicate it is "extremely rare" with few known, but some ORCA hoarder has to have one!! Kewell advertised it for only about three years as far as I can tell.

John, the Kewart reel is rather complex inside, so I doubt there is a trade reel connection.

Keep looking!

Alan