"Liberty" trade(?) reel--who made it?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
bob121349
Big ORCA Fan

"Liberty" trade(?) reel--who made it?

Post by bob121349 »

Hi-- sorry-put my question and info into wrong dept. Need to Know who made this reel: ( non-level-wind; dimensions are: plates are 2" dia. & reel width is 2-1/4"; reel is NP brass; NPB spool; riveted foot ( rivets look different somewhat from early Shakespeare); stamping on foot reads: "MADE IN U.S.A." and "PATENTED", otherwise the (straight) foot looks to be maybe Shakespeare, South Bend, or Bronson or Pflueger (riveted to two independent cross pillars; 1 top and 2 side-pillars; round; face plate is plain with "Liberty" stamped at 12 o'clock; no knurling on reel body; red jewel (small) caps that have diagonal knurling on edges; small click button; no drag; face plate edge has 2 (aprox.) 1/16" ridges on inner and outer edges with 3 evenly spaced smaller ridges in center of plate rim; tail plate has 1/16" ridge circle placed aprox. 3/8" from outside edge; single handle grip (black) with counter-balance just like I've seen on early Shakespeare Leaders; crank is also straight; two screws look like Shakespeare with stepped heads and are spaced at 3 and 9 o'clock).

Any info on this reel would be helpful. Thanx. Bob
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: "Liberty" trade(?) reel--who made it?

Post by wrong99 »

According to Jim Madden in an early reel News article, the "Liberty" reels were produced by Shakespeare for sale through South Bend in 1927. They were likely supplied to numerous retailers, as well.
mark
bob121349
Big ORCA Fan

Re: "Liberty" trade(?) reel--who made it?

Post by bob121349 »

Thanx Mark. By the way, a fellow collector of mine told me , just today, that an old reel value guide of his showed Kalamazoo having sold an early NLW reel named "Liberty" #1631. My Liberty reel shows no such number stamped anywhere, so I think mine was just made by Shakespeare and shipped directly to some retail outlet as a trade reel just as you said. Still, it's good to know that other reel companies also got trade reels like the Liberty from Shakespeare.

Would also like to know where I might gain access to a good list of Shakespeare trade reels if possible.

Thanx again. Bob