Request for information

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Request for information

Post by sdlehr »

I've been contacted via email by BH who wants to know, "I just bought a reel marked Bronson Mercury 2550 with the etched fishing design. It looks exactly like the 2550 but it has a cork spool like the 2551. Could somebody have put the two together or was there a reel made like this?"

Anyone know the answer to this? I suggested it would probably be easy to swap spools between the two consecutive models, but I wasn't sure if a 2550 could be ordered with a 2551 spool, or maybe a 2551 is the same except for the spool.....

Thanks.
Sid Lehr
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Request for information

Post by wrong99 »

I've probably sold at least a dozen #2550 "Mercury" models over the years, most of which had cork arbors. I think they were standard. The spools could not be swapped, as the #2551 was the narrow spool version.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You can buy aftermarket cork arbors, so isn’t it likely cork added later?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The 1940-1947 catalogs describe the Mercury as coming with a "light weight aluminum spool with fitted cork arbor". After 1947, they came with the plastic arbor. As John said, corks arbors were always available separately.
Mark
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:You can buy aftermarket cork arbors, so isn’t it likely cork added later?
Thanks, I had already suggested that. I'll get back to the inquisitor with the information provided.
Sid Lehr