Fin-Nor Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Fin-Nor Question

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John Taylor here. I recently bought a Fin-Nor box with a 4/0 reel in it off Ebay some of you might have seen it. The box is kind of neat it's black colored with a neat pattern to the paper covering the cardboard and the label is in pretty good shape as well I will post a few pics after the question. I am wondering if any body has seen this label and might know it's approximate date ? It Says " Fin-Nor and has the old Marlin / oar logo" pictured on it then it says "Anglers Mfg. Co. Miami 48 Florida" below. I have googled it and searched it every way I know how and have come up blank ! I can't use the reel to date it because seller says reel wasn't original to the box. The box came out of an old tackle shop in West Palm Beach, Florida that was owned by George Debay who was the sellers grandfather. I can't even find the "Miami 48" address or "Anglers Mfg. Co." in my searches ??? Any body out there seen one like it ?? Dates or info ?? I have also looked through the books on Fin-Nor that I have and quite a few catalogs. Any help would be appreciated !! Thanks ! John Taylor

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Fin-Nor Question

Post by 54bullseye »

I forgot to mention that on the bottom of the box it says "4/0 and B33" written in pen. John Taylor
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Fin-Nor Question

Post by 54bullseye »

Well I guess I answered my own question with a lot of help from Steve. He informed me that zip codes had all changed to the 5 digit codes by 1963. Then I was looking through Ed's book "Fin-Nor The Legacy Years" again this morning and found a small picture on page 53 with the caption saying "The first Fin-Nor catalog produced by Angler's Manufacturing Co. a branch of Southern Tackle- 1958" So I guess the box can be narrowed down to 1958 to 1962 as when they were made !! Here is the picture from the book. From all my searching and reading this is the only thing I have found that mentioned "Angler's MFG. Co." John Taylor