Collecting Bait Casters

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Collecting Bait Casters

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I have been collecting fly reels and spinning reels for several years and I really do enjoy them. In the Townsend, Tennessee area where I live, there are several antique shops that appeal to the locals and tourists alike. All of them have several vintage and antique bait casting reels. I thought I might like to collect some older casting reels but I know nothing about them and I don't know where to start. I would like the forum's comments about what I should look for and maybe some suggestions as far as brands and condition. I would also prefer to start with a few that are not terribly expensive. Thanks in advance.
Joe
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Collecting Bait Casters

Post by wrong99 »

Go on eBay and you'll see so many thousands of casting reels, which should give you some idea of what's available and what they are going for.
Mark
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the quick response, Mark. I will check out eBay. I was thinking of maybe starting out with trying to obtain a few that are of the same make as some of my fly and spinning reels. Shakespeare and Bronson are a couple of examples. I also have various Pfleuger fly reels including the "Trump" and the "Triumph" models.
Joe
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

[bShakespeare, Bronson, Pflueger, Ocean City, Langley, Great Lakes, all moderately priced, plus many more. Most of the 800 I've got are bait casters. Many brands. Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19