Permit required...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Permit required...

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Try getting this through TSA at the airport!
I'm sure this one woudn't be any easier.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Re: Permit required...

Post by Robin Sayler »

I think they would probably frown on that!
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Thats crazy cool!
My buddy had the butt end of a Montague rod confiscated from his carry on bag coming back from the Daytona FATC show in March. TSA called it a smacking weapon. LOL that’ll learn him to make sure he doesnt forget to fully assemble a rod prior to packing and shipping home.
-Chris R.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

My buddy had the butt end of a Montague rod confiscated from his carry on bag coming back from the Daytona FATC show in March. TSA called it a smacking weapon.
Ahh, I can relate. Back in 2005 before packing up a display for the ORCA Nationals in Texas, I called the Albany International Airport weeks early to ask about bringing my antique reels on the plane rather than taking a chance packing in my suitcase. After talking to a security manager, I was told, despite my attempts to describe the reel/rod in question, that as long as it didn't have line, I could bring it on the plane. I again tried to explain this wasn't like anything they'd seen before, 1800's, blah blah blah, but he dismissed it entirely. Still a bit worried, I called again a few days before my flight to make sure it'd be OK to bring this Follett combo:

Again, I was cut off as soon as they heard a reel with no line, and was told to explain I had called the office prior to the flight on the "off chance" they gave me a hard time at security.
Sure enough, as soon as my carry-on went through the scanner, I could see the eyebrows of the security guard knit together in a "what the hell is this" kinda look. I was pulled aside, questioned, and told there was no way I could bring that on the plane. Since it was one of the focal points of my display, I had to either cancel the flight or take a chance on putting it into my checked bag - which I did, but didn't feel good about. In the defense of TSA, I get that this solid German silver rod that was about 2 feet long when assembled could certainly be a weapon, but that was why I called twice to explain and get permission before the flight. I've seen what those baggage carriers can do to a suitcase. It all worked out in the end, the Follett made it there and back, but it sure made me more than a little nervous that it might become damaged.
And yet a few Indiana style reels didn't raise any eyebrows when flying back from an FATC show a year later. Go figure.
Last edited by Jim Schottenham on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! I carried back to Harpers Ferry a bit of serious Show and Tell...a custom Mooching reel with two extra spools, in a custom wood box! I had this reel, along with appr. 12 other reels in and out of boxes plus two fishing rods, all in my carry-ons. I was braced for some serious discussions at security and they did, indeed, pull me into secondary to go through the bags. They unwrapped assorted reels from my underwear, looked in a couple Perez reel boxes, but never even GLANCED at the “land mine” in the wood box! I assume they thought it was so obvious, it must be a decoy. At any rate, they let me pass...and on the way back home, they never even looked! It must have been my sweet, innocent face...whatever...glad to make it back home with all intact.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of the "no line" issue. I brought two reels with me in my carry-on, both with line. Took home three with line. On the way out my bag was opened and checked, they were training a new TSA agent, and it was my electric toothbrush that caused the problem, not the reels..... on the way to my intermediate destination, and on the way home, there were no issues. I don't get what the problem with the line might be.
Sid Lehr
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Sid,
As it was explained to me long ago, the TSA was worried the line might be used like this
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jim Schottenham wrote:Sid,
As it was explained to me long ago, the TSA was worried the line might be used like this
:usa :shock: :loco: :lol:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Several years ago I had a Pflueger reel wrench confiscated when returning from the Louisville NFLCC National show. I had two of them, but they only took one. I paid $5.00 to have it shipped to Idaho.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member