Pflueger big game reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Pflueger big game reels

Post by Reeltyme »

I have been bothered for sometime now about 2 reels that Pflueger produced and the value placed on them. So, I thought I would throw this at you guys to ponder. The Pflueger Atlapac and the Pflueger Templar. I have taken apart many of these reels down to the bones. Cleaned and shined them up and put them back together. Aside from a few small differences, they are very close to the same. I get the differences, but they are not that different! There is no sweeter sound in the world than when you slowly turn that handle and those double dogs click like angels singing! Then you engage the rear clicker and,,, oh my god! It makes Swiss music box makers green with envy! Each one built like a Sherman tank to boot! Now to the problem,, hundreds for the Atlapac and a few dollars for its lower priced brother?? What the ****! Does the public just not see the quality of the Templar? Neither one is that easy to get. Yes, they are available, but not in mass quantities! Just had to fume about this.
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell

P.S. I have several of all models! :D
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Pflueger big game reels

Post by Brian F. »

Get your hands on a Pflueger Adams to add to those two and you're gonna go nuts :lol:
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Forgive my ranting Brian, I do indeed have an Adams. The rarest middle child. And yes, like the rest, sounds of pure heaven pour from her. The value of the Adams is undisputed given she is as rare as hen’s teeth. When these three reels are all assembled in a group, they are a treasure to behold. To all the collectors out there, if you don’t have one,,,get one!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Randy, sshhhhhhhhhh, be quiet! That price differential has allowed me to be able to afford some of the larger reels. The Altapac’s are out of my league for now, but I’ve been able to pick up both of the newer style Templar’s and two of the older style ones for about less than half of an Altapac. Of course, one day I’ll try for an Altapac if I ever have the opportunity. I just have to figure out where to put it!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Well, the Atlapac does have the thumb-engaging super brake that could stop a Great White-or break your line! That item alone is worth a hundred bucks, right Brian? Anyhow, those three are superb quality reels!

Bad Bob
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

My guess as to why the Atlapac brings more than the Templar would for the most part be supply and demand. It seems like there are a good bit more of the Templar reels running around out there to find. Atlapac reels were pretty costly back in their day and it seems fewer people popped for the more expensive reels with more options. Hence ..... fewer made, fewer sold, fewer around today, more features, a cool box ... that's my guess why Atlapac brings more $$$$$ today.

I like the Adams too but my favorite Pflueger reel is the sandwich side-plated Avalon. Sweeeet!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

There were two Atlapacs on that ended today on the bay at BIN prices that I thought were reasonable. Neither sold so obviously neither was a steal, but I seem to remember several years ago when they were selling much higher. How much do I know?! And Ed, I agree the "cool box" adds to its collectibility influencing its perceived value.

BTW...I have a beautiful Templar on a bamboo rod on the wall. Wish I had a tin box! :D
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You mean these old things, Ed? That little obe is 150yd... have not seen another in that size

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Yeah! Doze are dem. Very nice John!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

You know John, there’s one there that doesn’t have a Williams drag. You should throw that away. Of course, if you’re throwing it away you could drop it in the mail to me...
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

RAM wrote:Well, the Atlapac does have the thumb-engaging super brake that could stop a Great White-or break your line! That item alone is worth a hundred bucks, right Brian? Anyhow, those three are superb quality reels!

Bad Bob
That's right, Bob, that brake was a pretty nice piece of machinery and amazing how they fit it into the same tailplate as the other reels.

Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Wow, I've not seen that before. That's exactly like a drum brake on a car without the hydraulics.... way cool!
Sid Lehr
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I have several Pflueger Templar reels and all 3 size of the Atlapac, the 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 with the fancy cardboard boxes that have a leather strap on the top that attaches to the front of the box like a belt buckle. Those reels are awesome and a joy to collect for sure. Everybody likes the Bulldog logo too.
GoGators2
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GoGators2 »

Pflueger Adams just listed on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pflueg ... Sw8Y1bovd9