Shapleigh Hardware Bait Casting Reel--The Meteor

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Shapleigh Hardware Bait Casting Reel--The Meteor

Post by m3040c »

I was considering selling this little bait casting reel. When I sell a reel I like to know what I am selling so I can make an appropriate description of the reel to go along with the pictures. My problem here is this reel is wearing a Shapleigh Hardware name and model and I have no idea who actually made the reel. I feel it is a trade reel. I have read that Shapleigh Hardware sold fishing tackle but did not manufacture any. So, if someone can help out with any information as to the origins of this reel, that would be a great help. Also, if anyone here is interested in purchasing the reel, please make me a reasonable offer. Of course I have no idea of value or rarity, as I am a salt water guy. It is in very nice condition and all functions are smooth and fast. It does have an anti-backlash feature on the tail plate and a very fine sounding clicker.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Shapleigh Hardware Bait Casting Reel--The Meteor

Post by Don Champion »

I know very little about level wind bait cast reels but it looks kind of Bronson to me. Probably about 1935-40.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Bronson would be a good guess but the foot and the spacer are bothering me. I’m an uneducated newbie in the reel ID arena, but I might say Great Lakes although the foot still doesn’t look right. I’m also not sure that they made their reels, but the Reel Makers list says they did.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I know very little about level wind bait cast reels but it looks kind of Bronson to me. Probably about 1935-40.
Bronson would be a good guess but the foot and the spacer are bothering me. I’m an uneducated newbie in the reel ID arena, but I might say Great Lakes although the foot still doesn’t look right. I’m also not sure that they made their reels, but the Reel Makers list says they did.
Thanks guys, that is a good starting place.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It's not a Bronson reel. It was made by Shakespeare (possibly their Kalamazoo Tackle Division).
Mark
Update: Made by Kalamazoo Tackle (Shakespeare) for Shapleigh Hardware. Identical to Kalamazoo's No.1711 "Royal" model, seen in their 1940 catalog.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

It's not a Bronson reel. It was made by Shakespeare (possibly their Kalamazoo Tackle Division).
Mark
Update: Made by Kalamazoo Tackle (Shakespeare) for Shapleigh Hardware. Identical to Kalamazoo's No.1711 "Royal" model, seen in their 1940 catalog.
Great!!! I now have a direction, will look for a catalog that has pictures of the Kalamazoo No. 1711 "Royal" model. That you very much!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Here is one that is really close, not identical but close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KALAMA ... SwSlBYr0He
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Mike,
Here's the original listing for the "Royal", from Kalamazoo's 1940 catalog. Same spacer. Grips are different on yours, although the same style from Shakespeare/Kalamazoo, but likely something that Shapleigh ordered to save money. Same engravings circling the face plate. Same components. Kalamazoo made a staggering amount of trade reels throughout the years.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike,
Here's the original listing for the "Royal", from Kalamazoo's 1940 catalog. Same spacer. Grips are different on yours, although the same style from Shakespeare/Kalamazoo, but likely something that Shapleigh ordered to save money. Same engravings circling the face plate. Same components. Kalamazoo made a staggering amount of trade reels throughout the years.
Mark
Thank you very much Mark! This is great info.

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The oil caps on yours are obviously different, as Shapleigh used their own style with the "S" in the center.
Mark
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

That explains it. I knew that foot was bugging me.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Mark would know, Kalamazoo for sure, but Bronson held the US Trademark for Meteor, from 1949 to 1969 at least.

Probably before that based on the introduction of the Royal?

Alan

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It's doubtful Shapleigh's "Meteor" was produced after the war. So Bronson, who also produced a "Meteor" model from 1935 to 1941, was free to register the Trade Mark for the name after WWII. Which they obviously did, and subsequently went on to re-introduced the "Meteor" during the 1950's.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Now we are getting deep. I very much appreciate all the help about this reel. I would have never figured it out. I have listed it on EBay and made a relatively decent description thanks to all the help here.

In case anyone is interested, here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332709919954?s ... 1558.l2649

Thank Again