Big homemade?? banjo reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Big homemade?? banjo reel

Post by Paul M »

This big old trolling rig came home with me today along with some other reels and tackle. Looks like a really well made one-off banjo style combo from Ontario Canada cottage country. The reel is a whopping 8 3/4” diameter. No makers marks. Looked like a fun wall hanger that needed a caring home. This was from the estate of ORCA member Jim Wilson.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Big homemade?? banjo reel

Post by sdlehr »

Nice grab, Paul! Can you add a side view, from here it looks like the rod/reel seat is sandwiched between the spool flanges, and that obviously can't be what is going on.... more pics, please! :)
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Please excuse photos from the operating theatre:

The lever on the lower handle controls a metal brake pad. The brake is released in the first pic below. In the second pic below, the brake is applied. This is not a drag per se but rather a way to pay out wire/line or to stop it from unwinding while trolling at the desired depth.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Similar style reel as the Jackling gift reel i brought for show and tell at the Nationals! Clearly, a common mission!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks for the extra pics. Paul. That's what I thought was going on. It does look like it was planned for use similar to what John had a few weeks ago in Harper's Ferry. What is the difference between this and a mooching reel?
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

What is the difference between this and a mooching reel?
The rod/reel combo makes part of the difference, not just the reel. The large capacity of this reel, combined with the large diameter for fast retrieve, robust surface to handle wire vs mono and a short pool cue rod are ideal for trolling long lengths of heavy wire in order to get deep fast and stay deep while moving. It avoids the use of down-riggers that are hard to use for short runs. As stated above there is a control to start and stop free-spool but otherwise just a pair of grasps. Say you want to canoe across a lake that is only a few hundred feet across but trying to present a gang of spinners to laketrout at a depth of 80 ft. This outfit would work. Salt water would ruin wire trolling line.

I was once in BC on a fishing charter mooching for salmon in an ocean tidal area. The mooching reel was also a single action high capacity spool with a couple of knobs and a drag. The reel was wood or plastic - many pounds lighter than the combo above and mounted on a traditional length fibreglass fishing rod. The line terminated in a baited hook and there was curved sinker of an ounce or two above the bait. With the boat anchored in a single position over 150' of water and baitfish/salmon sitting down around 60' that day, the bait twisted and turned in the tidal current and the wave action combined with the heavily weighted mono line made the bait dance around, triggering strikes. The fish were fought in a sporting fashion on relatively light tackle.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

.... Unlike mono, wire used to get the lure deep is probably able to withstand the force of most freshwater fish and thus a drag is not needed. You just haul it up with as much strength as you like without fear of breaking the line (unless the wire is kinked!) . Wire is a lot less fun than thin and stretchy mono or braid where a drag is very useful.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Paul, To me, this is a beautiful piece! I have 15 to 20 outfits like yours and several dozen more unmounted reels for the same purpose. These reels I find are sometimes “works of art” and some are just plain “functional”. Either way, they are great pieces! Take good care of her, congratulations!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I have one on the same idea. Has a knurled nut that tightens and loosens drag Has a short what looks like Hickory rod with 2 pinned on guides and a roller tip that swivels around pole. It is spooled with what looks like copper wire. If you look close at it someone has some man hours it it !!!! John Taylor

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Very cool!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

I have to wonder, with all these beautiful homemade outfits that seem to be around, did the fisherman first create a rig to suit his needs and the general manufacturer jump on board? Or did the fisherman just not find a heavy enough outfit made by mass production units and modify them for their use? Most of my “deep water trollers” that are of bigger, better quality seem to be homemade? I have a few that are true giants! Just a thought.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Jim had a stash of Murphy Trollers with several varieties. That adds a layer to the mystery. Stand by for a future article in the Reel News. It is drafted but not yet submitted. The article was started long ago but seeing a pile of them in Jim's garage was a reminder to get back on it.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

You guys! Those are some great reels. Definitely good for a Reel News article, Paul. Go for it!
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

When you guys get tired of those “ugly” things, I’m kind of into ugly fishing outfits! :lol: