Zebco Cardinal 4 question (need some help)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Batesy
Big ORCA Fan

Zebco Cardinal 4 question (need some help)

Post by Batesy »

Hello
I am new to the forum and I found this sight while digging for help. I have a Zebco Cardinal 4 that I was fortunate enough to pick up for a couple dollars but it has an issue that I am not sure what to do about.
The connecting link keeps detaching from where it pegs at the bottom. I will line it up, put the cover back on. It will wind (and the spool bobs up and down like it should), then it will disconnect and it will start all over. Also the little clip that holds the connecting link won’t stay on either. I am including a pic. Does my connecting link look bent? Is it missing something by chance? Anyone else ever have this issue? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Zebco Cardinal 4 question (need some help)

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The blocks on Cardinal 3s and 4s were originally riveted permanently to the oscillation arm. The stud has worn. You can try to repeen it but that will only be a temporary fix as it will pop off again at some point. You will need to buy a replacement arm. You can find them new on eBay occasionally. Here is what appears to be a nice used one. The seller is very reputable. The add says used but that may be a misprint. You couls ask him if he has a new arm.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Batesy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Batesy »

REALLY appreciate your help. I ordered. Hopefully I wi figure out how to replace it it. Doesn’t seem too complicated. Many thanks.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

There is an e-clip behind the block on the main shaft. Remove that and the one on top of the arm on the main gear. To put it back together install the connecting link (oscillation arm) onto the main gear and main shaft using e-clips at both locations. Don't forget to install the spring washer between the main gear and connecting link (oscillation arm), and the spring washer at the rear of the main shaft in front of the connecting link block. Click the thumbnails to enlarge, then you can click the angle arrows at the top of photo to enlarge them even more.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Batesy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Batesy »

Huge thanks for the pics and description of what to do! I sincerely appreciate it. I will report back when I get it put it!
Batesy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Batesy »

I’m happy to report she is back together and running like a top! Thanks so much again!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Well done! :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027